How to move the attribute in a dynamic block when switching the visibility state?

Hello,

I am pretty new when it comes to dynamic blocks, so be gentle.

I am playing wit a dynamic block (test) wich contains 1 attribute.

The block can be 2 different variants: single or double.

If single, I need the attribute there where it is. If double I would like the attribute to move. Or text or any other object I want.

See attachements for my goal.

How to do this?

Any help is appreciated.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

I'm not sure you can.

I'm not sure what you are doing but what I would do (possibly) is instead of using the visibility parameter I might use a distance parameter & array action. If you do that you can add a move action to the distance while giving the distance a 2 settings list. This only works if the double is 2 single units rather than 2 different units.

Hi dbroada,

I am trying to make a block that can differ in size. Not too complicated.

The stretching and few other things I can do for I have found some good tutorial videos on that matter.

In my case it is gonna be an attribute that gets in the way if the block gets bigger. So with the visibility change I would like the attribute to move to a new location.

Hmm.. I am not sure how to do. Your approach I cannot do for it has nothing to do with array. I tried but no succes.

I am shure there is an easy way but as allways.... if you do not know where to look....

in my way (I'm at home so no ability to create block) you give the distance 2 list possibilites, say 50 & 100. Set the array to a 50 spacing and select all the items. That way when you increase the distance all the items selected copy 50 to the right. The move action can also be triggered on the new distance.

Another possibility is to look into lookup tables. Thinking back I am sure you can have visibility states and positions but I can't look in to it for you until at least Monday.

Okay dbroada,

If I have a solution I will post it, otherwise I would appreciate your help again next week.

Thanks so far, have a nice weekend.

Marco.

Marco, the best way to do this is to keep your visibility states but make the handle invisible, then add point parameters with a move action to the center of your attributes and add a lookup list with visible handle (instead of the visibility handle), setup your lookup list to show the wanted vis state and move your attributes with the x/y parameters.

good luck!

I still can't figure it out, aargghh...

The attachement is my block, can anyone put in that what I need so that ATT1 moves when the block is streched / array to double?

This is not my best explaining but open the block and try it, it will explain itself.

Question besides, in previous "attempt" I had a little blue arrow there where the parameter to stretch / array is. Now it is a small rectangle, blue grip if you like. WHy is that?

Please help, so I can get some sleep tonight :-)

lib.dwg

Dave,

Tnx... I have tried to figure out what happened. So I open the properties palette:

1. I see you have loched the attribute... funny, lock it to be able to move it...

2. I see the move action is linked to the distance parameter and that only 1 object is connected with the move action: the attribute. However if I unlock it, it still moves... How come?

3. I am shure I did the same as in 2. but somehow I have missed something. One must be very careful I guess...

4. I added the align parameter, that I understand too.

5. When having visibility states, I can click on the visibility parameter and select wich of the 2 I want. In this example I must manually stretch. Is this where the lookup parameters are for? If so then I must look into that too.

I appreciate you help, tnx again.

I have to admit to never having really got to grips with lookup tables. They look useful but for what I have to do they are a bit of overkill but I think they can be used in your situation. Certainly fucarro has used a lookup table to simulate multiple visibility states (vey well too). I'm a bit busy ATM but if I get a chance I will look for his post.

In my mind "lock" means that AutoCAD keeps track of where it is, ie lock in memory, not lock in physical space. I don't know if that is true but it works for me. I know from past experience that you had to lock attributes to move them bit I haven't tried it recently so maybe it is just an old habit no longer required.

Hi Marco, what a coincidence, i draw electricity too! :)

Hope you figured it out by now, if not you may always pm me in dutch.

The lookup parameter is used to combine different actions, you can combine for example a visibility state with a stretch and a move and so on.

I attached an example of the wall outlet block i made for use in my plans, it has:

-an alignment parameter, so you don't have to manually rotate

-a lookup action to select single to triple outlet (changes the distance parameter of the array)

-a visibility state to select the type of outlet

-automatic move of the attributes

-manual move and rotate of each attribute

The best way to learn dynamic blocks in my experience is to experiment a lot and never give up! :)

Stopcontact.dwg