blocks and advice

bjenk8100

Hello,

I am just really beginning to need the use of blocks on a large scale. I need some advice of how to utilize the block features. I use acad10. As of now I start a dwg file, make an object and save it as a block. I want to make a database of lots of blocks that I can use easily with numerous dwgs. Right now I will open the dwg with the blocks and copy/past them to another dwg i am working on. Is this the correct way to do this. I would think that blocks would save somewhere so I would not have to do that. Any advice would help, I am very new to blocks and scaling objects.

tnx

brian

You've got the right idea but this can also be done using you tool palette. Pressing Ctrl+3 should bring it up. Chances are yours will still have the default stuff in it. right click make your own and manipulate away. Using the design center (Ctrl+2) is the best way I've found to click and drag the blocks directly to the palette. I myself have about 24 custom tabs on mine.

Blocks can be dragged and dropped via the Design Center.

Or, as stated above, you can take the time and effort to create a new tool palette (or palettes) and populate it with the blocks. If you do so then group them logically. Example: I have tool palettes for isometric valves. All the actuated valves are near the top of the palette while all the manual valves are below them (in alphabetical order too). I have a second tool palette for other isometric symbols such as flanges, unions, filters, pumps, etc.

What field do you work it?

When you have everything you want on there it makes things much easier. I put all my files on one folder to simplify things so i can remake the palettes quickly. (seeing as i have had to make a new one every time a new version of cad comes out.) It also saves time looking all over a network for the appropriate blocks for the palette or otherwise.

so do you make your blocks in a dwg file adn keep adding them there. THen go to ctrl 2 > blocks and drag the ones you want per dwg?

I use multiple library drawings to create the blocks, with valves in one drawing, pipe fittings in another, electrical one-line blocks in another, etc.

Then use the DesignCenter and navigate to one of the library drawings, right click and pick "create palette", the program will move all your blocks over to a palette for you. Do this for the other library drawings. Later if you add or delete, modify etc. items in one of the library drawings, simply delete the palette and recreate it with the right click method.

Before Design Center (and to this day because I'm on an older version) I would simply create a folder and subfolder for drawings that each contained the geometry for one block (with the exception of nested blocks) and add the path(s) to the AutoCAD support path.

This continues to serve me quite well and it may still be a valid approach.

Some block hints:

Create your geometry on layer 0

If you have created a block in a drawing you can save it to a separate drawing with thw WBLOCK command. (WBLOCK - short for WriteBLOCK - creates a drawing)

If you want to save all of the current drawing to a new drawing you can use WBLOCK * using this approach will purge unused items in the newly created drawing.

Nesting blocks can be beneficial, that is a block (or blocks) within a block but it can take some planning to get the most out of them.

Have fun!

Oh, I just reread your post and noticed you mention that you copy/paste. I would suggest you eliminate this habit unless you are also in the habit of then exploding the geometry and purging the drawing. This will avoid the accumulation of nonsensical block names in your drawings.

Definately do not use the copy/paste approach when creating your block library.