New To 3Ds Max

Chronos69

I have a lot of experience using AutoCAD, but I now have access to 3D Studio Max. I have never used 3Ds Max before so I am a total newbie with it. In people’s opinions would it be better to create 3D models in AutoCAD then render them in 3Ds Max or can you create better models in Max? Or is it just peoples preference?

Also are there any problems with modelling in AutoCAD and then importing into Max?

Thanks

Dave

Two different programs designed for two different purposes. Autocad is a technical design/drafting program based on precision whereas Max is more of a freeform artistic program used to create content for games and animation where precision and accuracy are not really important. That doesn't mean Max can't create accurate models, because it can, it's just a little more difficult. So it really depends on what you are trying to create and which program you are most comfortable with. It's easier to build models in Max, but more difficult to create them to exact dimensions.

No, there are no real problems modeling in Autocad and then importing into Max.

What type of work do you do? What would you be using Max for? There may be a better alternative for you, like maybe Solidworks or Inventor or Rhino? It just depends on your line of work and what you're trying to accomplish.

My line of work is Civil Engineering, I used AutoCAD for 3 years and basically got into the program a fair bit, I started looking into the 3D side of it, not for work purposes but just as i enjoyed creating stuff in 3D. So now i have access to Max i thought I would give it a go, it wouldn’t be for work purposes but for my own personal use, so I wouldn’t need to be accurate.

I suppose it might open up a few different job opportunities as well if I could use 3Ds Max, as jobs are hard enough to come by as it is at the moment in the U.K.

Ok, give it a go then. I've been using Max for 5 years and I use it for work as well as personal projects, so you can always come here and ask questions if you get stuck on something. I'm happy to help out in this part of the forum. It's much more fun than Autocad. :)

You should take some time and read through the previous questions that have already been answered, and also take a look at this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29434 which provides links to sites offering free tutorials. I can also recommend some very good books and training DVD's if you're interested in making a purchase.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice, i believe i will have a crack at it, i found some tutorials online which i have downloaded and i am goign to have a look at, if you know of any decent books then that would also be very helpful.

Thanks again

Dave