likely cause of frequent crashes/bug splats

td88

I've drawn a house and placed the windows and doors on separate layers. I've finally assembled the roof, wall and partition groups into a whole and turned on the window/door layers and every time I attempt to select the whole thing and simply move it, I get a bug splat. I've consistently purged unused. What's the most likely cause? Is it inadequate video card, or RAM or what? This happens frequently at this stage of a drawing and I'd like to upgrade effectively to address the problem. Low tech language is appreciated. Thanks.

Video card: ATI FireGL V3350 256MB DDR2 graphics memory

File size: 3.38 Mb

Memory: Slot 'XMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number 0AF020E0)

Slot 'XMM2' has 512 MB (serial number 74B711E1)

Slot 'XMM3' has 2048 MB (serial number 0BF020E0)

Slot 'XMM4' has 512 MB (serial number 73B711E1)

Tim

SketchUp version:7.1

Operating system:xp

What is the polygon count?

Zip it and upload if you can.

See above for file size: 3.38 Mb

Can you tell me where to find the polygon count?

Tim

I looked over the model a bit and don't see anything wrong with it. It is a bit polygon heavy but I could not get it to crash while moving everything.

I did manage to purge quite a bit of items. See attached image. If you don't have it I suggest using the PurgeAll ruby script. It will purge everything in one step. I have attached it in a zip file. Just place it here:

C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 7\Plugins

Then restart SU and you will find it under Plugins/Purge. If you already have it then good.

My only other thoughts are that your machine is not handling it. Maybe move what you need in pieces.

Sorry I could not be of better assistance.

Purged.jpg

PurgeAll.zip

Eric,

After your suggestion above, asking for a faces count (for polygons), I went to the model and found 0 faces. I don't know how that makes sense, since I clearly have many faces in a drawing of that size.

Tim

That is odd. The model I sent you has over 45,000 faces. If you don't see what I do on your screen then there might be something wrong with your install. You could try re-installing SU and see if that helps???

As far as the poly count the windows and doors are very detailed. Were they imported from another program? If you could use components that are simplified that would help you out, especially if you are going to develop the model even more. Depending on the viewpoint you are going to present the model from you could use much less detailed windows and doors. Just a suggestion.

PolyCount.jpg

That is odd. The model I sent you has over 45,000 faces. If you don't see what I do on your screen then there might be something wrong with your install. You could try re-installing SU and see if that helps???

As far as the poly count the windows and doors are very detailed. Were they imported from another program? If you could use components that are simplified that would help you out, especially if you are going to develop the model even more. Depending on the viewpoint you are going to present the model from you could use much less detailed windows and doors. Just a suggestion.

Eric,

The fact that you are able to smoothly navigate the model without jerks and your faces count seems far more probable, still makes me wonder if video card or other hardware are the issue. May I ask the spec. and memory of your video card? According to another forum, my video card is only partially adequate for OpenGl and may be undersized.

Tim

Eric,

May I also ask, it has been suggested to me, although the bare spec for my RAM is over 4 Gb, that when acutally in operation, I have 3 Gb, because of the way these things function. Does this make any sense and could it be the reason for the underpowered performance with SU.

From my experience, posing the ques. to a repair person yields the answer "I only know hardware and not CAD" and I get little advice from the CAD community. I think I need someone with both types of knowledge (I do not have it) able to assist me in setting up a system that will simply work for the 2d and 3d I do. My 3d needs are not extravagant. Sketchup and Revit.

Tim

Well Tim you are not in luck with me ha ha. I know the program pretty well but when it comes to hardware my knowledge is limited. Attached are the specs for my home machine. I also tested the file at work and it was a tad slower but I could move everything and had no crashes.

I suggest that you join the SketchUcation Forums and you will get your hardware help and even more software knowledge than I can provide.

http://forums.sketchucation.com/

Specs2.jpg