smooth surfacing

mugshot

hello guys,,

can somebody please help me???:oops:

im tryin to use 3d max as my rendering engine in replacement of cad, for some reasons, max renders fast and more detail.

well my problem is that, i still use the cad to do my 3d and import it in max but when in max, all of the surface is a bunch of crap...

its just like been drawn by a kid that you you can almost see all the geometrical corners specially on the part of round thing...

but in cad it stays as smooth as it was.

- do i have to tick some of the boxes in the first pop up window when importing before pressing "import":shock:

- can i still do something on the rough edges thats was there already or i have to import the file again...:?

any help will be much appreciated.

thanks and god bless!!!o:)

musghot

First of all, you need to make sure your CAD model is sitting at X0,Y0,Z0 before you import to Max. If your CAD model is very far away from the origin, Max will have a fit and won't display the model correctly.

As for surface smoothness, check your Import settings and try using the settings in the screenshot below. The "Maximum Surface Deviation for 3D Solids" will control the smoothness of your imported models. I have mine set to 0.01, but you may need to adjust this accordingly.

Also, make sure your Max units match your Autocad units. If you're working in Metric in Autocad, make sure your Max units are also set to the same Metric units.

Untitled-1.jpg