About the CUI ... some questions

Hi there,

Lately I have been exploring the CUI, I've seen some instructional videos etc. Now I have managed to add some tabs on the ribbon and do other nice stuff. I like the idea of making som cutom stuff without real programming involved. (Thats the reason for me to post in this section not the VBA/Lisp/Customize section...). Me happy! :)

I am wondering, if I would save the *.cui and load it on another machine, do I then get the same ribbon with all it's macro's and images as they where when I saved it?

Now the really stupid question: is it that simple? :oops: Or am I forgetting all about ...?...

Hi there,

Lately I have been exploring the CUI, I've seen some instructional videos etc. Now I have managed to add some tabs on the ribbon and do other nice stuff. I like the idea of making som cutom stuff without real programming involved. (Thats the reason for me to post in this section not the VBA/Lisp/Customize section...). Me happy! :)

I am wondering, if I would save the *.cui and load it on another machine, do I then get the same ribbon with all it's macro's and images as they where when I saved it?

Now the really stupid question: is it that simple? :oops: Or am I forgetting all about ...?...

Depending on exactly what you're wanting to accomplish, you might be better off using Tool Palettes for you customizing. It's easier for multiple reasons, but mainly because (1) it's designed for heavy manipulation and (2) it's extremely easy to share or "carry with you" to migrate to other machines.

But to answer your question, yes. Everything you do to the *.CUI file will carry over to another machine except the "custom icon". You will have to re-load each icon if you move to another machine. Having said that, I'm not 100% positive about that, but more like 95% positive. I could be wrong, but from what I know you cannot embed custom images into the CUI file. And is it simple? Well, the CUI itself took a bit for me to grasp but once I did, then yes, things became much more logical to me. Customizing and using the Tool Palettes are much simpler, and their images carry with an export or a shared network directory, so this is something you wouldn't have to worry about.

Hope this helps you some.

Thank you very much for the reply StykFace.

Depending on exactly what you're wanting to accomplish

Create menu's / toolpalettes / tabs on ribons / add panels / etc. When ready, send to home and to collegues. I am aware of network options so I might consider that too.

You might be better off using Tool Palettes for you customizing. It's easier for multiple reasons, but mainly because (1) it's designed for heavy manipulation and (2) it's extremely easy to share or "carry with you" to migrate to other machines.

I know but you cannot export / import toolpalette groups by lisp so my collegues would have to import these themselfs. That I do not want.

Also the view options like "Icon with text" and the image sizes are allways set to default once switched wit *_toolpalettepath.

I have done my best but I cannot unite with the toolpalettes 100%. So thats why I look beyond.

... except the "custom icon". You will have to re-load each icon if you move to another machine. Having said that, I'm not 100% positive about that, but more like 95% positive. I could be wrong, but from what I know you cannot embed custom images into the CUI file.

Hmm... I guess I'll have to explore that. WHat if the used Icons were all in a dedicated folder (Support File Search Path or so..)?

Customizing and using the Tool Palettes are much simpler, and their images carry with an export or a shared network directory, so this is something you wouldn't have to worry about.

I guess you are right but it does not allways have to be simple if the result is better.

And yes, your info helps me a lot. Thanks again.

I know but you cannot export / import toolpalette groups by lisp so my collegues would have to import these themselfs. That I do not want.

Hmm... I guess I'll have to explore that. WHat if the used Icons were all in a dedicated folder (Support File Search Path or so..)?
Let me comment on these two statements. First off, I'm pretty sure you can control the Importing of Tool Palettes with LISP, so as long as you know the programming language that is. But in your second statement about the Support File Search Path.... you would have to do this anyways with Tool Palettes so either option of customization you choose, you'll have to alter the Support Path. The "end user" will HAVE to do something, unless you do it for them. But here's the difference....

With a custom *.CUI, you can either (1) copy/paste and overwrite an existing CUI file which is not recommended, or you can (2) open the CUI and load a partial CUI to "import" the customized settings (but that will be confusing to most end users unless they really understand the CUI), or you can (3) put the CUI file in a network location and add directory in the Customization Files --> Enterprise Customization File Support Path (which would be the most recommended option). Then you have to still put the icons in their respective directory and map it in the Support Path.

Now, with Tool Palettes, All you have to do is either (1) add one Support Path in the Tool Palettes File Locations, or (2) Export/Import. Other than that, you just have to organize the Tool Palettes, which include adding a Palette Group and dragging each Tool Palette to it so it's available via the right-click menu, and then manipulating each Palette View Options (Icon size, List view, etc...) but that is much easier to control and for the end user to do than mess with a CUI, unless you are doing it for them.

I have always messed with the CUI and Tool Palettes for customization. I personally customize my own CUI, but not for the rest of my group. They are all running on Tool Palettes and I will tell you from experience it is the way to go for a network environment as well as moving from one computer to the next via Export/Import. That's just for customizing Tools and Commands though, if you start adding Blocks then you'll have to take into consideration the path of the block if you start jumping from computer to computer or even worse, a computer outside your network. It's still very easy to migrate however, depending on your needs.

Just my $0.02 if it's worth anything to you.

I really need to give this some serious thinking, it is a lot of info.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this good.

If I should make a decision right now, I'd probably choose the toolpalettes again for there is one more reason you did not mention: it is compatible for more versions.

Thanks again and I will let my mind do some work!