this pc any good?

paul1966

i'm thinking of updating my tired pc, at the moment i am running cad 2008 32 bit, but may be upgrading to 2010. i do only 2d work at the moment but want to start learning 3d in the near future, i have found a pc spec's listed below, would it be ok for what i want to do?

3XS 5300 OC - Smart Edition

Asus P5QPL-AM, Intel G41

400W Corsair Power Series PSU

CPU

Intel Pentium Dual-Core, E5300 2.6GHz overclocked to 3GHz

CPU Cooler Intel Certified CPU Cooler

Memory - DDR2

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800)

Graphics Card

nvidia 512MB EVGA GTS 250

System Drives

500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache

Looks good to me, just so as long the price is more on the cheap side. AutoCAD 2011 is the latest out so that's what will be offered if you upgrade.

price wise its 425 uk pounds, 629 dollars. that's without an operating system, which probably is a bit high?

price wise its 425 uk pounds, 629 dollars. that's without an operating system, which probably is a bit high?

WAY too high. The computer itself has enough power to meet your needs but the price to spec ratio is not where it needs to be in my opinion, especially without an operating system.

ok next option is to buy a barebones system and then add a intel core i3-530 2.93GHz dual core processor , 4 gig ddr3 133mhz ram, same graphics card as above and hdd, this comes in at around £450. on paper to me it looks a better system. not sure what the price difference is for pc components between here and your side of the pond, to give you an idea the cpu is £93, 138 dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222

That's about right... little cheaper but I'm assuming the cost difference is just between the countries. Have you thought of just a prebuilt rig, from HP's website or something? Seems for the same price you can get a computer with comparable specs (if not better) for the same price, including Windows 7. Give it a shot and see how that works out for ya. You can always buy the video card you want at a local computer/electronics store and slap it in, too.