block file availability in LT 2009

Susan-Skye

Hi, I'm having some trouble in AutoCAD LT 2009 with block files.

I need the blocks I create to be available to every drawing I create, but somehow, I'm doing something wrong because I can only access them from the drawing I created them in.

What am I doing wrong?

Blocks that were created in another drawing and not WBlocked out to your hard drive and be used in a new drawing via the Design Center. Another option would be to create a new Tool Palette and populate it with the blocks you use most often.

I've tried putting them in a file on the hard drive, but when I open a new drawing, AutoCAD can't find that file. I've tried using the Design Center, but it won't save the block if I create one in Design Center. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to create a block in Design Center, only to open another drawing and discover that the block was never saved- no matter how many times I clicked the save button.

And yes, I'm using the INSERT command. I can use copy + paste, but I don't have to have a block to do that. I'd rather create the block so I don't have to keep on using copy + paste.

I believe you are doing everything correctly, but your expectations are slightly off.

A block wil only exist in a drawing if you have created it in there, or inserted it through DC or from a tool palette. When you create a block, it does not automatically appear, or become available within all new drawings.

Keep creating your blocks and saving them, how is up to you. One drawing for all blocks, individual drawings, block 'group' drawings, whatever suits you best. Once done, open Design Centre, find your block drawings, and drag & drop into your drawing. CTRL+2 (not on the number pad) toggles DC on and off.

Or better still, right click them and select 'Create Tool Palete'. This will, not surprisingly, create a tool palette with your blocks on it. From here you can put them into any drawing with a couple of clicks. CTRL+3 toggles your tool palettes on and off.