Box Around Dimension

CiCAD

I know it can be dome ive been looking can not find any info on it. How do i put my dims in a box?

Am i able to put a box around the text under the dim line using \X in the text overide box?

To answer your question about "dims in a box" you need to check off the option Draw frame around text which is found on the Text tab of your Dimension Style manager.

Regarding the box for text under the line. I think what will happen is you'll get one box, not two, but it will encompass the text above and below the line. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by ReMark

Set Dimgap variable to negative value >> -0.09

There is no need to set the dimgap variable to a negative value of -0.0900 because that is the default setting to begin with in a drawing using imperial units. You can check this for yourself in the information about the DIMGAP variable in your Help file. The default setting of 0.6250 is used for metric drawings.

When I need the box around the dimension or leader text, I always set Dimgap to negative value. It works. The help says that the default is 0.0900 and not -0.0900:

Type: Real

Saved in: Drawing

Initial value: 0.0900

Sets the distance around the dimension text when the dimension line breaks to accommodate dimension text. Also sets the gap between annotation and a hook line created with theLEADER command. If you enter a negative value, DIMGAP places a box around the dimension text.

There are several other ways to do it, but I found setting the dimgap the fastest. Just type dimgap on the command line and type the value shown as default, but make it negative.

You're right. The default value is a positive 0.0900 not a negative. I checked my dimgap after I had already enabled the frame around text setting thus when I typed DIMGAP at the command line I got the negative value you mentioned. My apologies paul.

Set Dimgap variable to negative value >> -0.09

Using the command line to set dimgap variable (or any dimvar) will create a dim style override which I try to avoid doing.

Using the command line to set dimgap variable (or any dimvar) will create a dim style override which I try to avoid doing.

Why do you try to avoid dimstyle override?

I either want to change the style itself or I will create a child style to the style. When you have a style override and then set another style current the overrides go away or first you will have to go to the override and right click to have it save to the current style. If you have people typing in dimvars the chance of it applying to the wrong dimstyle is also a concern.

We all have our own way of working, those are just my thoughts.

I either want to change the style itself or I will create a child style to the style. When you have a style override and then set another style current the overrides go away or first you will have to go to the override and right click to have it save to the current style. If you have people typing in dimvars the chance of it applying to the wrong dimstyle is also a concern.

Thank you.

That is how I prefer doing my Dimstyles as well.