Having problems dragging or copying and pasting from Design Center Drawings

iDesign

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user of AutoCAD. I am creating a template, but when I try to drag or copy and paste the layers. blocks, dimstyles, multileaderstyles, etc. from design center, a message pops up that the parameter is incorrect, or it would just not drag and drop. I have the original drawing open as instructed, but nothing seems to work.

Please help!

Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure I follow you? What is the "original drawing" you speak of? It isn't the same drawing you are using the Design Center to drag & drop content from is it?

By the original drawing I mean the very first drawing I made, where I created the first layers, blocks, dimstyles, etc. which I will be using for my second drawing. I have to have this drawing open to be able to copy and paste or drag from what is in design center. When this first drawing is closed, design center does not show the layers, blocks etc I want to copy for my second drawing. I really need help. I don't know what to do :(

Open your original drawing. Click File, Save As...(If you are using ribbons, click the red "A" at the upper left to get the File menu item.) At the bottom of the box that comes up, give it a descriptive drawing name like My First Template:glare: or something. Click the drop down list , Files of Type. Select AutoCAD drawing template (*.dwt). then click Save. You will now be in a brand new Template drawing instead of the original drawing.

Now, in the new template drawing, Select (All) everything in Modelspace and Erase so you have a blank drawing. Don't worry, all the styles, layers and blocks will still be where you can get to them through either the drop down lists, or the Insert command even though you just erased all their images in the drawing. All the definitions remain until or unless you issue a Purge command. Purge deletes all unused definitions. It will let you pick and choose which to delete too.

If you have layouts, you will have to go manipulate them into a "Generic" state of your choosing. Now you have a Customized Template Drawing. You should save and or close it now in a folder of your choosing. The next time you want a blank template drawing, merely open this template from the File menu item New. You may have to nav the folder list to where you saved the one you want.

Once the template drawing is open do a Save As, andNav the Save As dialog folder list to the folder you want the drawing to live in and name it what you want, then select in the Files of Type drop down whichever *.dwg format you want. You now have a new AutoCAD drawing started from a template.

AutoCAD Save as, saves and closes the drawing you are working with and opens a brand new drawing named whatever you gave it.

Edited by Dana W

By the original drawing I mean the very first drawing I made, where I created the first layers, blocks, dimstyles, etc. which I will be using for my second drawing. I have to have this drawing open to be able to copy and paste or drag from what is in design center. When this first drawing is closed, design center does not show the layers, blocks etc I want to copy for my second drawing. I really need help. I don't know what to do :(

You can also navigate to a specific drawing using the design center folders tab and resulting folder list. The drawing does not have to be open to grab stuff from it through the design center, but the design center has to be pointed to it.