Lisp for creating new drawings from a CSV filename list

sakinen

I'm planing to get involved in a making of lisp routine which will increase speed of preparing drawings for publishing in my company. We are always creating special working dwgs, and then xref them into publishing ones. We are already using some excel and lisp for filling up the sheet data (i think the topic about the same lisp came up on this forum). Basically what i want to achieve is that a lisp is reading a column from csv file which is called for example "filename" and making files with the same name as it comes to an end of the column. Also after each file is created, i would like to import layout with specific name (A2) which is another column in csv, from a file which link is also in a csv column. Also i would like to include up to 3 or 4 this layout imports per one drawing. Of course if its omitted in csv lisp wouldn't be making it. So one file name would be a row of data in csv with layout names and file links to the layout template files.

I hope i did make some sense. If not please ask for clarification.

I would like to ask you for some ideas or advice, or if someone tried something similar so we can talk about it.

Thanks in advance and best regards!

This is just a guide of how to

1st step I would create a template dwg with all your settings and at least 4 layouts as you mentioned SAVE IT ! , just open this template and then do a "SAVE AS" this makes the dwg with the file name.

Ok step 2 its easier to delete layouts than add, some one may contradict me but thats ok. Change there names etc as well ignore save as above and do now.

step 3 Go onto next dwg.

You can use excel to write a script to carry out all the work, need to search here for rename/del layouts lisp pretty sure .

open mytemplate (load "renamelayouts") floor 4 saveas FREDSPROJECT1 close

open mytemplate (load "renamelayouts") walls 3 saveas FREDSPROJECT2 close

and so on

This is a good base point. This is rather smart idea to delete existing than create. It simplifies the process.

Only thing i didn't understood is creation of script within the excel.

You mean some kind of macro that is going to operate with cad or what?

Thanks a lot by the way!

You mean some kind of macro that is going to operate with cad or what?

Thanks a lot by the way!

I found out what you were saying.

Thanks again.

• 2 years later...

I have the same need and was wondering if anybody has a lisp for this? I have a csv file with dwg names and their corresponding layout names in two columns. What I want to do is run the program and it will read the data in the first column (the dwg name) and it will create x number of layouts using my dwt (I would modify the code with the file path to my dwt) with the corresponding layout names from the other column. So, if I have 50 drawing name(s) in column A, it would create 50 new layouts (in the drawings listed in column A) and rename them accordingly to match the layout names in column B. For ex., I could create say 5 base dwgs with 500 layouts all based on the data in my csv. The only requirement is for the base drawings to exist prior to running (and the dwt & csv of course).

Thx