Find and Replace Text Through Project

AQucsaiJr

Does electrical offer a tool to find and replace text through each drawing of a project? I found that I can run a script through a project during a batch plot process but I want to be able to do a find and replace without having to print. I would like to be able to use electrical to do this and not some other outside program if possible.

Do you mean just random text or project text? If it is project text (client name etc.) ou can modify one of the support files and this is automatically updated across all the drawings.

If you mean just random text that (may) appears in every drawing then a batch process of a LISP routine is probably the best way to go. I assume your batch process is a script in which case you can script whatever you want, it doesn't have to be a plot routine.

Does electrical offer a tool to find and replace text through each drawing of a project?

To the best of my knowledge the two-part answer is no, but Lee does. :)

Do you mean just random text or project text? If it is project text (client name etc.) ou can modify one of the support files and this is automatically updated across all the drawings.

If you mean just random text that (may) appears in every drawing then a batch process of a LISP routine is probably the best way to go. I assume your batch process is a script in which case you can script whatever you want, it doesn't have to be a plot routine.

Yes I am looking for a way to replace random text within each drawing.

To the best of my knowledge the two-part answer is no, but Lee does. :)

I know of Lee's tool. I use it quite often, however the client I am working with has a strict policy about using any outside programs. This is why I am looking for a tool that comes within AutoCAD.

It is sad that AutoCAD does not seem to provide any easy way of doing this especially through the use of Electrical with its project structure. Thank you for the help.

I know of Lee's tool. I use it quite often, however the client I am working with has a strict policy about using any outside programs. This is why I am looking for a tool that comes within AutoCAD.

It is sad that AutoCAD does not seem to provide any easy way of doing this especially through the use of Electrical with its project structure. Thank you for the help.

I just now noticed your signature (Oops!).

In any event, and perhaps I will seem argumentative which is not my intention, but by definition code which uses the included API's and Interfaces (in this case ObjectDBX) use internal functionality that has been exposed to the Application; thusly not an "outside" program.

Perhaps a better illustration of my point, is to pose the question of menus, macros, toolbars, ribbon panels / tabs, an tool palettes (Whew!)... are you saying that all of the aforementioned items are strictly OOTB, and have zero customization for your company? If so, where does the client's strict policy stop, do they care if you customize the user profile, etc.

Again, please forgive me if I seem, I dunno, "Pointed?"... it's not meant to offend, I just think that Lee's code IS an internal function because it was made with the internal tools, the same as modifying the profile to include a given support file search path is internal.

I do hope this makes sense (not only for you, but also your client).

Cheers! :beer:

I just now noticed your signature (Oops!).

In any event, and perhaps I will seem argumentative which is not my intention, but by definition code which uses the included API's and Interfaces (in this case ObjectDBX) use internal functionality that has been exposed to the Application; thusly not an "outside" program.

Perhaps a better illustration of my point, is to pose the question of menus, macros, toolbars, ribbon panels / tabs, an tool palettes (Whew!)... are you saying that all of the aforementioned items are strictly OOTB, and have zero customization for your company? If so, where does the client's strict policy stop, do they care if you customize the user profile, etc.

Again, please forgive me if I seem, I dunno, "Pointed?"... it's not meant to offend, I just think that Lee's code IS an internal function because it was made with the internal tools, the same as modifying the profile to include a given support file search path is internal.

I do hope this makes sense (not only for you, but also your client).

Cheers! :beer:

I see your point. I agree with you that Lee's function is more of an internal function as it only uses programing tools provided with AutoCAD. I actually tried to show this tool to the client and explain its use, as it is perfect for the task they want to perform.

I don't really think I fully explained what I meant by an "outside program". This client has explained to me that they will not use any program, LISP or other, compiled by anyone outside there offices. I think it come down to security rather than program function. I think they are trying to limit the possible exposure to malicious programs. I think they are being a little finicky with this policy as I am sure Lee's program is not malicious, but unfortunately they wont take the time to check and would rather have a similar program compiled by one of there techs internally.

By the way I did not find your post offensive at all. Thank you for the reply. I'll bring this issue up to them again with the points you have made and see where that gets me.

Again, Thanks.