Previews sweep but doesn't build it

williamS

Trying to sweep the 6mm diameter circle along the 3D sketch. When I select the 3D sketch as the path the sweep previews but on clicking OK in the dialogue box I get the error message that the sketch cannot be built and "could not find the plane for defining the sketch coordinate system. Use Redefine Sketch to select a new face". Any help would be greatly appreciated, part file attached.

Part1.ipt

No response - so I started over.

Part1_jd.ipt

Worked for me.

I only see the problem exhibited in your file with new users - not sure what they are doing to get it to occur.

Sometimes I can fix, but on your file I couldn't figure out where it went wrong and since it was such a simple problem I recreated from scratch without issue (I did change the method a bit).

Sorry for not replying (had to get to work). It seems to be the case that when I sketch the circle on a workplane at either end of the 3D sketch I get the same problem. However, creating a workplane and sketching on one of the internal points (is that the correct terminology!), of the 3D sketch, as in your file, it works correctly (see attached). The part I am trying to complete is a "piece of rope", coming from the IVNGWC archives (September 2006) - circular pattern 5 the sweep about the x-axis and I followed exactly the work method in their completed file. So it works but it does seem more correct that the sketch should be at the end of the 3D sketch. I've had problems before with sweeps - anything to do with my settings?

Part1.ipt

Managed to sweep the circle from an end point. Changed the sketch for the coil so that the line does not intersect with the revolved surface (as per your file) and works correctly (odd that the IVNGWC file the coil sketch does intersect the revolved surface). Thanks for your help. Kind Regards.