Line too short

GIB39

I have a line that is too short to show the line type hence just a straight line.

Without scaling the line type is it possible to start the line type from a different position?

Rescaling the line type makes the gaps within the line type slightly different where as if I could centralise the line type within the line this would be sufficient.

Thanks

If I understand what you're wanting to do, you can open a linetype file with an ascii text editor like Notepad and change the arrangement of the elements. I would very much recommend copying the one you want to change to a different directory or filename, and experimenting on it. That way the original will always be there for a reference. Look in the help files under "linetypes", there should be a subheading called "creating" and "customizing".

Thanks

If i understand you correctly your suggesting altering the "offset" within the actual line type file. Ive made my own line types in the past but Im very rusty to be honest. Say I have a line as shown below called existing but would like it to be shown like the one called proposed. Surely it would be easier if cad actually had an offset facility built into the properties.

-------//-------//-------// existing

---//-------//-------//---- proposed

I am afraid that you are being confounded with how AutoCAD linetypes behave. This from a help file:

With A-type alignment, AutoCAD guarantees that the endpoints of lines and arcs start and end with a dash. For example, suppose you create a linetype called CENTRAL that displays the repeating dash-dot sequence commonly used as a centerline. AutoCAD adjusts the dash-dot sequence on an individual line basis so that dashes and line endpoints coincide. The pattern fits the line so that at least half of the first dash specification begins and ends the line. If necessary, the first and last dashes are lengthened. If a line is too short to hold even one dash-dot sequence, AutoCAD draws a continuous line between the endpoints. For arcs, the pattern is also adjusted so that dashes are drawn at the endpoints. Circles do not have endpoints, but AutoCAD adjusts the dash-dot sequence to provide reasonable displays.

The A-type alignment requires that the first dash length be 0 or greater (a dot or pen-down segment). The second dash length should be less than 0 (a pen-up segment). You must have at least two dash specifications for this alignment. Between the start and end dashes, the pattern dash specifications are drawn sequentially, beginning with the second dash specification and restarting the pattern with the first dash specification when required.

Thanks

If i understand you correctly your suggesting altering the "offset" within the actual line type file. Ive made my own line types in the past but Im very rusty to be honest. Say I have a line as shown below called existing but would like it to be shown like the one called proposed. Surely it would be easier if cad actually had an offset facility built into the properties.

---//-------//-------//---- proposed

Yes, thats what I was suggesting. I too am pretty rusty on it. I make a linetype once every 10 years whether I need to or not. Eldon's post explains it better than I could, but like Remark said you could just change the spacing using the ascii editor. Be sure not to use Word or Wordpad, they sometimes add formatting that will cause it to screw up. You want a simple ascii editor like Notepad.

---//-------//-------//--- proposed

According to the explanation given in my previous post, I don't think that you could ever have the linetype shown as "existing". Perhaps you could post a screen grab to disillusion me (or a drawing file).

Either you draw an overlong line, and use wipeouts to apparently shorten it. Or explode the linetype and use the bits that you want, or draw the line with dashes and spaces separately.

Or wait for AutoCAD to bring out an alignment B which will do everything that you want.

My mind went thinking, after posting the above reply, about an overlong line. If you draw a polyline with the first and last parts "folded" back along the line, and make sure that linetype generation is enabled, you can get at what you are wanting.

In the picture, line 1 is the normal complex line type, line 2 is the longest line that does not show the linetype, and line 3 has an extra length of line "folded" back at each end and thus shows the symbol in the line.

LTcheating.jpg

In fact, with careful "folding" back of the last section of the polyline, you can get a complex linetype to end with the symbol instead of a dash.

MoreTrickery.jpg