How to draw line to extact cordinate and exact lenght?

dedreux

Sorry for the extremly beginner question.

I would like to draw a line that is a specific length, lets say 16, that orginates from a specfic x,y location say 10,23, that terminates at exactly atleast the y cordinate 38. I dont care about the x or the angle.

Thank you..

If you use Polar Tracking (F10) Object Snap Tracking (F11) and have Osnaps turned on (F3) (if your starting at a point on another entity) otherwise you can start a line and then drag your mouse in the direction you want to go then just type in the distance you want to draw to in the command line.

Or type in the command line @0,20 where the 0 is the x value and the 20 is the y value.

I would use geometry to accomplish...if you want this to be EXACT.

1. Draw a line from 0,38 to 50,38 using absolute coordinates.

2. Draw a circle with a center of 12,23 and a radius of 16.

3. Draw a line from the center of the circle to either of the intersections of the circle. (Resulting in a line from 10,23 to either point - there will be two - corresponding with the y-coordinate of 38.

Hope this helps.

BTW - Welcome to the forum! (Can I do that even though I am not a moderator?):unsure:

Try this : @ Distance

I am not sure how that would work in this case. The distance is certainly known, but not the angle. The difference in the y distance is known, so there are two solutions, which your method does not seem to cover. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

That method is fine for length and/or angle but the question is how to draw a line 16 units long beginning at 10,23 and ending with a Y coordinate of 38

Use a circle's point of intersection. Start an orthogonal polyline of length 15 (the difference in Y values) and then create a horizontal xline from the endpoint of that. That line will intersect a circle of radius 16 (centered at 10,23) at two points, both of which will have the Y value of 38. Use your INTERSECTION or your APPARENT INTERSECTION snap to define the end point of your 16 length polyline.

Whoops, this is pretty much a graphic rehash of Post # 3, which is spot on the mark, just saw it. :beer:

circle works.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Just use dynamic input... just like techbert said...

Your animation is very fast, and the length input appears to be 500. The burning question is, have you been able to achieve exactly what the OP desires with your method :unsure:

Perhaps you could extend your animation to prove your method, using the OP's figures.