Phantom Layer

Jecobin

Hi All,

I am using AutoCAD 2008 and I have a layer that contains no objects which I cannot delete. If I try I am told there are objects on the layer but I cannot find any at all. I have turned off all other layers to try to find the object I need to delete but there is none. Has anyone had this problem before and if so how did you manage to get rid of the layer. I would appreciate your help.

Regards,

John

Your options are limited since you are running LT (ex. - no LAYDEL command; that's Layer Delete).

What have you tried so far?

Have you gone the WBLOCK route yet?

Use LAYMRG Layer merge will take anything which is causing trouble on that layer and merge it onto another layer, perhaps 0 would be a good choice, then it will delete the offending layer. Use the NAME option to select the layer which you want to get rid off, and then choose your target layer by any of the available options.

Hi Dadgad, I did as you explained and this did get rid of the problem layer. I merged with layer 0. I was not able to find what the objects were in the problem layer, but the layer is now gone. Many thanks for the help.

Regards,

John

Yeah, it always works, and in the unlikely event that there is some invisible thing there of great consequence, it does not remove it, but puts it on your 0 layer. But most importantly it enables you to delete the offending layer, which is usually the driving concern. I do like that it lets you effectively delete the layer without having to PICK something on it, but rather by name.

Glad to be of assistance. :beer:

That solution is just a cover up, as you said. The offending object(s) are still in the file. Personally, I couldn't "fix" it like that unless I knew that what is on that layer belongs on the layer I am merging to. Like if the layer were some variation of A-DOOR-NEW and I was merging it to A-DOOR-NEW. Most of the time the offending layer has some blank text, an empty block, or a zero length line on it. Other times it is buried in a block as an empty attribute or a block is assigned to that layer but all the objects within in it are assigned to other layers.

Just my 2 cents.

Did you try using -PURGE (notice the - in front)?

That is actually how I do it these days, but I was too lazy to write out the extended command string. Probably the best way. :thumbsup:

When I run across this, I will turn on, unlock and thaw all of my layers then...

1) ERASE *enter*

2) ALL *enter*

3) REMOVE *enter*

4) Crossing window over everything you want to KEEP. *enter*

Usually ACAD finds some obscure object out in space somewhere that is on the layer in question. This will delete that object, then you can PURGE your layers (make 0 your current layer) and it should work.