Finding block names in files

richard3009

I have 500 autocad files and I wish to pull the border block name from each file, is there a way of doing this automatically

The fact that you are using LT version may be a problem.

Also, there are some unique criteria that qualify a block as border-block? Is the only block inserted in 0, 0 on layout? Or the name follows a certain pattern?

The blocks are in a layer called SF i have access to Autocad full version so can run routines

Ok can be done next question in the dwgs are the title blocks in layout tabs and are they named different or do you just get the first one and then next drawing, then output list to say a text file ? Dwgname location blockname.

A bit more are all layout tabs identical ie the title block is always at say 0,0 this is important else it will find wrong block or need more code to work out its a title block.

Maybe post sample dwg

The block is in model space a routine that displayed every bloc in each file would do the job as the borders have names that are quite obvious, what Im aiming to to is a find and replace attribute within the borders of 500 drawings, my problem is that the drawings have different block names for the borders in many of the drawings, I just need to know all the names used and then I can target those specific names.

Here is a start got it from http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?41652-rename-all-blocks-adding-a-letter

Bit rough but gives idea replace princ name with write to file etc

(vl-load-com)
 (setq acdoc (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-acad-object))
       blocks (vla-get-Blocks acdoc)
       )

(setq dwgname (getvar "dwgname")) ; also need to out put this first 
(ssget "_X" '((0 . "INSERT")))
       (vlax-for b (setq ss (vla-get-ActiveSelectionSet acdoc))
         (setq name (vla-get-name b))
(princ name)
  )

(princ)

Edited by BIGAL
dwgname

The block is in model space a routine that displayed every bloc in each file would do the job as the borders have names that are quite obvious, what Im aiming to to is a find and replace attribute within the borders of 500 drawings, my problem is that the drawings have different block names for the borders in many of the drawings, I just need to know all the names used and then I can target those specific names.

Perhaps this lisp from Lee would be helpful?

I haven't gotten around to playing with it yet, but one of the seemingly nice

things about it, is that it works without even needing to open the files, which when you are talking

about 500 files, could certainly save you a lot of time. :)

http://www.lee-mac.com/macatt.html

Thanks Lee! :beer: