Wierd cursor behaviour - not snaps

Ewen

Hi,

Can anyone advise on this kind of bizzarre 3DS Max Design issue please? I suspect it's a PC / setup thing, but it'd be good to know if it's something that other people have experienced:

I run AutoDesk Inventor Suite 2011 on a Windows 7 workstation laptop, with a second, auxilliary screen (both screens running).

In 3DS Max Design, when I go to scale an image using the mouse-drag functionality it works fine unless I try to scale on fewer than all planes, if the main 3DS Max window is in the left hand (auxilliary) screen. If I do that, the moment I move the mouse, the cursor jumps to the right hand screen (the laptop's in-built screen), stops controlling scaling - despite retaining the scaling cursor icon - and will not come out of the right screen, until I release the mouse button. If I try to move it back into the left hand screen, the cursor just re-appears at the right hand side of the right hand screen when it passes out of the left hand side of the right hand screen.

The same is true for top and bottom.

It does work correctly if I have the main 3DS Max window in the right hand (native laptop) screen, but the auxilliary screen's a better spec and that's where I'm wanting to be doing my design work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I've just had a go at replicating this and I seem to get the same results. When scaling a plane with Max on the left screen, the cursor jumps to the right screen. Scaling in the Y direction works ok (but with the cursor jumping to the right) but scaling on the x axis doesn't work at all. Scaling jumps to zero and you can scale up or down any further, so it seems it's not just you

I've found this thread on this issue:

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/autodesk-3ds-max--3ds-max-design-2010/viewport-panning-issue-on-2nd-monitor/page-2/

It seems making the left screen your primary screen, fixes the issue - did for me anyway (it's going to take a bit of getting used to having everything on the left though)

James

Edited by james120479

Thanks James. Good to know it's not just me!

I'll try making the left monitor the primary one and see if that fixes it for me too. Not useful though, given my workspace layout. I guess it couldn't be raised as a bug either given we're on 2012 from AutoDesk now.