V-ray ftw!

Raudel Solis

V-Ray For The Win...

Thanks to a friend i have been using V-ray for the past week, i gave it a shot about 2.5 years ago and within two hours 2.5 years ago i said :censored:

2.5 years later i gave it another shot, I was really optimistic about what could be accomplished with v-ray after seeing various renders, and videos, To my suprise, V-Ray Exceeded my expectations. Mental Ray is NOTHING compared to V-Ray.

My friend said within an hour ... "How are you doing with your second try at v-ray.."

"Not that good"

"Well Read the :censored: manual" :rtfm:

:glare: ...

and that is what i did.

Vray kicks out very good quality images in minimal time.

I could not render anything above 3k without expecting the length of my beard to increase exponentially.

With V-ray i kicked out 6k renders just for the fun of it.

My system specs as is are...

Core i7 720qm

6Gb of Ram.. Used to be 12 but static electricity fried my ram sticks :lol:

Ati 5650m 1gb, "I hate this graphics card so much, i wish i had an equivalent Nvidia graphics card"

Long Story Short...

BUY V-RAY!

Glad you finally found V-Ray to work for you. My latest "Ah ha!" moment was with Revit a few years back and I do remember finally climbing over that hill so I can understand your excitement.

Although, I will say, your comment about Mental Ray being nothing compared to V-Ray is simply a false statement. Mental Ray is an extremely powerful rendering engine and can pump out renders that are downright mesmerizing. A simple Google search would show plenty of results.

Now, let's see some renders!! :)

Mental Ray is NOTHING compared to V-Ray.

I think this is being a little bit harsh. You can produce equally mesmerising results using Mental Ray - as long as you know how to use it. I can't comment on render time differences but there are many stunning renders produced using Mental Ray.

James

Mental Ray is NOTHING compared to V-Ray.

I have used Mental Ray for 7 years and it is perfectly capable of producing high resolution photo-realistic renders, provided you know what you're doing. If you don't want to take my word for it, there are plenty of articles online comparing and contrasting the two rendering engines and you can find debates on this subject in pretty much every CG forum. From what I've read, Vray is a little bit faster and a little easier to use, and that may very well be true, but the render quality of Mental Ray is every bit as good as Vray. So stating that Mental Ray is NOTHING in comparison is simply false.

So stating that Mental Ray is NOTHING in comparison is simply false.

OBJECTION!

"Stating that Mental Ray is NOTHING compared to v-ray is an opinion which can be neither true or false. 8)

:winner:

Opinion it may be, but it certainly isn't a fair opinion. Nor is it reasonable. Anybody can see that Mental Ray is a phenomenal rendering engine by merely looking at any results from professionally produced renders.

:)

Stating that Mental Ray is NOTHING compared to v-ray is an opinion which can be neither true or false.

Fine, it's an opinion. And my opinion of your opinion is that your opinion is false. :celebrate: :winner: :excited:

Bottom line, it's a choice you have to make. Do you stick with Mental Ray, which is included with your software and is perfectly capable of producing high quality renders, or spend the extra $1,000 and get Vray? If I could have afforded it, and justified the expense, then yeah, I would have probably purchased Vray. But I always stuck with Mental Ray and I think my renders speak for themselves. :)

But none of this really matters to me anymore because I don't use either renderer. I use the rendering engines inside Modo, ZBrush or Vue depending on which software I'm working with at the time. ;)

Bottom line, it's a choice you have to make. Do you stick with Mental Ray, which is included with your software and is perfectly capable of producing high quality renders, or spend the extra $1,000 and get Vray?

After thought and responses my quote "Mental Ray is NOTHING compared to V-ray" was a bit harsh. In other news I don't think I will utilize mental ray anytime soon.

furthermore I turned in My Senior Final Research paper on Iran's Nuclear Program :excited:

back to the topic..

Quick Ups about V-ray

*I can kick out high res renders without squaring the lenght of my beard.

*Easy to setup for test renders

*many Anti-aliasing filters

*Agressive, and passive image sampling

*Distributed Rendering available

Quick Ups about V-ray

*I can kick out high res renders without squaring the lenght of my beard.

*Easy to setup for test renders

*many Anti-aliasing filters

*Agressive, and passive image sampling

*Distributed Rendering available

Mental Ray can do distributed rendering, it has many Anti-aliasing filters and it's easy to set up for test renders. These things are not unique to Vray.

I can't comment on render times because I don't have any way to test, but from what I've read about it over the years, I'll take your word that Vray is faster.

I don't know what you mean by "Aggressive, and passive image sampling". Can you explain? :unsure:

I don't know what you mean by "Aggressive, and passive image sampling". Can you explain? :unsure:

Very troubling how i progressed so far in a scene last night and today i cant seem to find it updated as i left it last night.. i must have not saved it >_

back to topic

16 Antialiasing Filters, "Mitchell-Netravali, area, quadratic, cubic, blend..

By agressive i'm talking about subdivisions when nearby pixels are toned to make detail..Nothing really special about it, mental ray has its own thing to deal with this. speed is the key.. here is the scene i was working on that apparently wasn't saved. :glare:

I have increased the number of Autobak files to help prevent this in the future.

My autobak files of the project were overwritten..

here is a 6k render just for the hell of it

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-RIMseQ5ofsZHRPRlpweTluZUk

click file, download, and open and zoom into the fan.

the scene has moderately low primary and secondary bounce settings. and increase will reduce this effect.

my specular map for my floor needs tweaking.

in the scene the sun is nearly at noon "12Pm"

Rendered in 5:25

scene output.jpg

a downer about v-ray is that i have to create many map types to kick out good renders

I now have to generate specular, bump, sometimes 2 reflective maps to use with the falloff map type, and other map types when appropriate. this is not difficult, i find it fun and time consuming.

here is a 6k render just for the hell of it

Ok, that render took 5:25, but that's not what I would consider a final rendered image. That's more like a test render, so I would expect a short render time. Your GI settings are way too low. You need to increase the number of photons and adjust your GI settings in order to get rid of the splotches on the walls. Do that and then post back with a render time for a final image.

16 Antialiasing Filters, "Mitchell-Netravali, area, quadratic, cubic, blend..

I wasn't aware that Vray had 16 AA filters. That's quite a lot. :o

Do that and then post back with a render time for a final image.

This is a jpg image

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-RIMseQ5ofsbmhlQmJwNTNtR3M

--This is a .png image @ 58.1 Megabytes--- hold on i hit submit reply on accident---

here it is

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-RIMseQ5ofsUzZQa1hEN0N2MVE

The settings for this image where above what was needed for this scene, i was going to move the sun to let more light in the window but that would not be a fair test. sun remains @ almost noon.

Capture84512.jpg

I wasn't aware that Vray had 16 AA filters. That's quite a lot. :o

they are fun to play with.. each has its own purpose.

So it looks like the render time went from 5 minutes to 2 hours? You should now render the scene with Mental Ray, using similar settings, and see what the render time is. That way you will have a true test of the render speed difference.

Do you have sky portals at the windows? If not, you should. They will help direct the outside light into the room.

So it looks like the render time went from 5 minutes to 2 hours? You should now render the scene with Mental Ray, using similar settings, and see what the render time is. That way you will have a true test of the render speed difference.

Do you have sky portals at the windows? If not, you should. They will help direct the outside light into the room.

done, this is the result @ 6k

94610.jpg :glare:

That's very odd. It's not like you have a complex scene or anything. It's just an empty room. I'm not sure why Mental Ray is bombing out? :?

I agree, its not at all complex, those renderings were done when the scene was 8 working hours younger.

this is my polygon count for the image uploaded to the showcase

Capture.JPG