AutoCAD on a Mac?

Bill W

Kinda dumb question, but does ACad run only on Windows?

I never gave this any thought, but the year for me to buy a new laptop may be 2014. Should I limit my options to Windows based machines?

Just thinking about it - don't have any strong feeling either way.

Thanks, all.

Yes, it can run on a Mac. Do yourself a favor though and visit the AutoDesk website and find/look at the PC vs. Mac comparison chart for AutoCAD. You'll see which features are included, not included and which are totally different. If you go the Mac route your computer will cost more (lucky you) and you'll be in the minority as well so if you have questions users of the PC version may not always be ready with an answer.

Thanks ReMark and Dadgad.

I will likely not go with the Mac option. My daughter is graphic artist and always promoting the Mac. But I am too old to switch, and really have no motivation to change. Just wanted to get your input.

From what I hear many graphic artists prefer the Mac so I could understand why your daughter is pushing you in that direction. It's tough when one computer has to satisfy many needs. Have you considered running Windows based software on a Mac? I think you'll need a program called Bootcamp.

For more information read "The best way to run Windows on your Mac."

http://www.macworld.com/article/1164817/the_best_way_to_run_windows_on_your_mac.html