How to run a lisp correctly?

Stevery

Hello,

I've never used lisps in AutoCAD before so thought I would try it out.

I googled how to run a lisp - the process I used can be seen in the attached image command history.

Could anyone please point out where I went wrong?

The command I loaded, is the one from the Sample > Visual Lisp folder.

EDIT: Turns out I was using the incorrect command.

I was looking at "defun drawline" assuming that drawline was the command, when I should have been looking at "Usage: (drawline)"

Thanks

Drawline Lisp.jpg

If you want these lisps to be available all the time do a bit of googling about start up lisps or as a start add your lisp to the end of ACADDOC.LSP then you do not have to load it all the time. For us we use menu's and toolbars to load lisps as required plus a lot already pre-loaded.

Hi,

First priority is to check inside the .lsp file for: "(defun C:something", where you rename "something" to whatever command name you want.

Second way that won't always work (because you probably can't see the overall picture) is what ziele_o2k described.

Wont work always because you might try to turn a subfunction that accepts arguments into a main function:

(defun Drawline ( p1 p2 ) [color="seagreen"]; subfunction that accepts two arguments[/color]
 ; ..
)

Turn the above subfunction into main:

(defun C:Drawline ( p1 p2 ) [color="seagreen"]; subfunction converted into main[/color]
 ; ..
)

Then you should get the following error (because its expecting two arguments) :

Error: too few arguments

Turn the above subfunction into main and turn its arguments into variables:

(defun C:Drawline ( / p1 p2 ) ;[color="seagreen"] subfunction converted into main and that doesn't expecting any arguments[/color]
 ; ..
)

Now the function won't expect any arguments so in theory you should be fine,

but depending on how its written, you have a big chance to get errors similar to these:

Error: bad argument type: stringp nil

Error: bad 3D point: nil

So the second priority should be to just ask here on the forum, by posting the code you are using / source link + author.