VBA - Insert blocks made of blocks with attributes, explode, then edit Attributes

Munters

I have a drawing my company wants me to automate. I'm using AutoCAD Electrical 2017, and have created some blocks containing 2 or three blocks with attributes. I have created several forms to get information from the user, that will determine which blocks to insert in the drawing at pre-determined insertion points. My plan was after the user has put the information in, they hit a command button and the automation starts. When inserting the blocks, I was planning to use the asterisk to insert the block exploded, then use VBA code to change one or two attributes ("TAG1" and "DESC1") to an also pre-determined value.

So in a nutshell, I'm trying to gather info, insert blocks, change attribute values, and also change a line of text or two elsewhere in the drawing. Note, the blocks I will be editing values are provided with AutoCAD Electrical, so I can have 11 of the same blocks on a drawing, and all will have different tag (TAG1) names. I do have a list of the x-y coordinates of the insertion points if that helps to select the correct block.

Thanks in advance!

This is a bit of code in VBA it uses the method of retrieving the attributes in saved order then updating, the example is pick a point and write X & Y to the block. Try changing the "Textstring" to "Tagstring"

Set SS = ThisDrawing.SelectionSets.Add("pit1sel")
SS.Select acSelectionSetAll, , , FilterDXFCode, FilterDXFVal

For Cntr = 0 To SS.Count - 1
If SS.Item(Cntr).Name = Blkname Then

attribs = SS.Item(Cntr).GetAttributes

If attribs(0).TextString = pitname Then
      pt1 = ThisDrawing.Utility.GetPoint(, " pick first point")
      txtx1 = CStr(FormatNumber(pt1(0), 3))
      TXTY1 = CStr(FormatNumber(pt1(1), 3))
       attribs(1).TextString = txtx1
       attribs(2).TextString = TXTY1

attribs(1).Update
       attribs(2).Update

Cntr = SS.Count

Else: End If

Else: End If