freezes during drawing - not responding

cjh111

First time, so be gentle.

Whilst working on a small 2d iso drawing suddenly cad just freezes for no particular reason, and i get the not responding message etc. I have left it for an hour but the only way out is to close down auto cad.

I have tried audit, purge, recover and saving as a block but none of these work.

Any more ideas pleeease?

:( :(

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiger

• cjh111

• riga

• Hedgehog

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, that happens sometimes on some computers, it's impossible to tell the reason without more info.

The first thing I look at if AutoCAD crashes is the setting for virtual memory, Control Panel / System / Advanced / ...

OK, i misunderstood :)

Have you tried RECOVER?

Sometimes INSERT into a new drawing will work.

Can you XRE the drawing and then bind it?

If all this fails, maybe try another program, open the darwing and save as a new file.

try this one - my ACad didn't freeze, but I couldn't copy everything out. I found two solids in there though, and when I took them out it worked.

Can you do something with it without freezing?

Tiger - your dwg still froze, thanks anyway.

Hedgehog - your dwg seems to work fine, cheers for this. Will let you know how I get on. Why does this happen? Hopefully it won't happen again. Problem is i do a lot of copy, paste & save as etc. so this type of thing could be a big problem.

For it to load up on both our systems (2006 & 2007) with no probs I'd say it's either an error in your AutoCAD (maybe needs reloading or repairing) or a specific prob with 2008 (I've not got one to test it with at the moment... I'll see if I can get on a machine with 2008).

during a quick look at the file, i found a 'bad' text style, which was referenced into the Standard Dimension Style.

Having said that, even after purging them out, the drawing still froze.

It wasn't until I did as Tiger mentioned, and erased the eroneous solids did the drawing not freeze up.

It wasn't until I did as Tiger mentioned, and erased the eroneous solids did the drawing not freeze up.

On a friend machine with 2008 still keep crash even after deleting the 2 solids (which surely came from an exploded dimension :x ).

It crashes when he goes in dimension styles and after checking the dimensions styles try to go back to drawing. :?

On a friend machine with 2008 still keep crash even after deleting the 2 solids (which surely came from an exploded dimension :x ).

It crashes when he goes in dimension styles and after checking the dimensions styles try to go back to drawing. :?

Did he forcibly purge before he tried going into Dimension Styles ?

It looks like at some stage, this drawing was auditted, as it created "Audited Entities". Is it possible that these are what is making it still freeze ?

Did he forcibly purge before he tried going into Dimension Styles ?

It looks like at some stage, this drawing was auditted, as it created "Audited Entities". Is it possible that these are what is making it still freeze ?

Yes, purged an saved. No Audited text style referenced (I have edited all the blocks which also contain generated text styles). But still crash