exploding an external reference ?

m!ni

Hello.

Im drawing on autocad 2008, but im having some trouble with trying to explode an 'external reference' this external reference needs to be edited.

I opened a DWT renamed it and saved it as a DWG, then i used the INSERT/EXTERNAL REFRENCES/ATTACH DWG to bring in drawing. When i select the explode button i cant select the drawing i need to edit.

Fingers crossed you can help me :wink: .....

In general XREF's shouldn't be exploded but considering this was a DWT file it sounds like you've gon a round-about way of inserting it... if you want to explode it go back into the xref dialogue & select BIND as an INSERT, then you should have no problems so long as it's not on a locked layer.

Thanks for the very quick replies, i do see what you mean about "going a round-about way of inserting it".

The reason i asked to do it this way is because this is college work. Its not a test and its not part of any type of exam, its just a self assessment paper. My tutor has told our class that this site is a great place to ask questions, please dont think im trying to cheat at college.

Here is the question that made me pull out my hair..

5. Create a layer called INSIDE WALLS with a colour set to GREEN and insert the drawing xxxxxx, at an insertion point of 0,0. Explode and ensure the entities are on layer INSIDE WALLS and set to green.

Ive set the BIND option and that has worked fine, fingers crossed thats what im ment to do !

Thanks again everyone.

I think you were being asked to insert the drawing as a block, not an xref. If you insert as a block, you can easily explode it. If you insert as an xref, then you have to do as Hedgehog suggested.

Ah that would make sence, looking at question 4 it asks to bring in a previous drawing as a external reference but as you can see it does not ask that in question 5. Thats my fault then !

Many thanks !

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
In general XREF's shouldn't be exploded but considering this was a DWT file it sounds like you've gon a round-about way of inserting it... if you want to explode it go back into the xref dialogue & select BIND as an INSERT, then you should have no problems so long as it's not on a locked layer.

I had a corrupt dwg file (could not open it.),but I could add it as an xref, but could not edit the xref. Going to _externalreferences > right clicking on the xref file and selecting bind > using insert as the bind type, allowed me to explode the xref, which helped me work around the corrupt file. Thanks for this tip.