acad 2008 block insert units issue

iain9876

hi there,

i recently installed acad architecture 2008, problem is I work in metric and it installed both metric and imperial without giving me a choice.

I have issues with drawing units and block insert units, it always defaults to inches which is rather annoying.

Is there anyway I can globally configure this so I can insert in metric everytime?

I have already changed the drawing set-up, changed the profile to metric, - in format-options changed all references to metric, - changed the block drawing to metric, but still it wants to insert the block as inches.

anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Cheers

Iain

You could try and add this to your acaddoc.lsp file

(setvar "insunits" 6)

Note- you may need to replace 6 with whater is appropriate for you, see below

When you drag a block from AutoCAD DesignCenter, specifies a drawing units value as follows:

0 Unspecified (No units)

1 Inches

2 Feet

3 Miles

4 Millimeters

5 Centimeters

6 Meters

7 Kilometers

8 Microinches

9 Mils

10 Yards

11 Angstroms

12 Nanometers

13 Microns

14 Decimeters

15 Decameters

16 Hectometers

17 Gigameters

18 Astronomical Units

19 Light Years

20 Parsecs

I'm at home so this is from memory but there are a few settings you need to adjust. They all begin with INS* so look in Express Tools|Variable editor for them. Basically when you get them set correctly AutoCAD stops assuming that the whole world is in imperial and lets you bring in blocks at 1:1 (most of the time). Pretty much as lp said but there are a few of them. They can be set in your dwt file if you prefer.

I know u found your solution already, but still i will post this anyway for future reference.

this is what I came acroos while playing with options setting to reset my profile today

go to tools>otions>user prefences>insertion scale & set up source & target units there.

It is similar to setting it up as explained in the faq posted by alan, but another way of doing it.

• 1 month later...

Checked the target/source units changed everything to metres still it defaults to inches on one particular drawing.

I tried;

1. altering the tools > format -> user peferences and set everything to meters in both drawings.

2. changed the insunits and units in both drawings to meters.

still when insterting this drawing it wants to insert it in inches.

A friend has also complained of the same issue, has anyone else who uses metric experienced the same problems?

I never had this on earlier versions, only 2008/2009 acad.

• 8 months later...
You could try and add this to your acaddoc.lsp file

(setvar "insunits" 6)

Note- you may need to replace 6 with whater is appropriate for you, see below

civil 3d doesn't seem to have an acaddoc file. Anyone know the equivalent?

hi dipali,

Yes i tried that. The end solution was to overwrite the template file with the metric one, that sorted things out.

civil 3d doesn't seem to have an acaddoc file. Anyone know the equivalent?

you can create the acaddoc.lsp file yourself; open a Notepad and write the desired text (setvar "insunits" 6 in this case) and save it as acaddoc.lsp in your support-folder.