Annoying Draw Order.

Cadastrophic

I have been working with a raster image (which I place on its own layer), but every time I resize the view etc, any lines in front of the image jump behind it. I can reset the draw order and send the image to the back, but it's only temporary.

Is there a way to lock the image at the back?

Guest growsontrees

I've found with raster images, you also have to use draworder to put all the other drawing entities in front for the raster image to stay in back permanently.

• 4 years later...

This still seems a hot subject, non of the above (even changing the height) proposed solutions work, except for changing the draw order of all the other objects in front of the raster image, but that's not an option for me.

Am I the only one?

I know how to solve this problem. Type "cdorder" in the command line and select the raster to want to send to back. It should stay there now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Select the image, right click on it, and then select "Draw Order". This will allow you to send the image to the back. I use a lot of raster images, temporarily, to aid me in creating perspective drawings for patent applications. I wish there were a way to send an entire layer to the back, but I haven't found it yet.

Select the image, right click on it

Right clicking repeats previous command in my set up. Can you clarify what you did?

:)

Using Map3D 2008: To send an entire layer to back, I select every entity on that layer, then use the DRAWORDER command.

The easiest way of doing this is QSELECT

Then set the dialog box as follows:

Apply to: Entire drawing

Object type: Multiple

Properties: Layer

Operator: =Equals

Value: (select the layer you want to send to back or otherwise change)

How to apply: Include in new selection set

Append to current selection set: UNchecked.

OK.

Then use the Draw Order toolbar or DRAWORDER command to put all the entities where you want them.

No doubt someone more qualified will be along shortly to demonstrate a much easier way!

I'm using AutoCAD 2005 - I don't have Map3D. Here's what my manual says about draw order:

Control How Overlapping Objects Are Displayed

Generally, overlapping objects ... are displayed in the order they are created: newly created objects in front of existing objects. You can use DRAWORDER to change the draw order (which is the display and plotting order) of any objects. TEXTTOFRONT changes the draw order of all text and dimensions in the drawing.

Note
Overlapping objects cannot be controlled between model space and paper space. They can be controlled only within the same space.

To change the draw order of overlapping objects

1 On the Draw Order toolbar, click one of the draw order options.

2 Select the object(s) whose draw order you want to modify and press ENTER.

3 Select the reference objects(s) and press ENTER. (This step is necessary only for the Bring Above Objects and Send Under Objects options.)

Tools Menu
Draw Order

Command line
DRAWORDER

Shortcut menu
Select an object, right-click, and then click Draw Order

I used the shortcut menu.

Hi LarsT,

I really liked your post, at first, I thought it was a bit ironic, because, the theory is perfect, but still, in reality, it simply doesn't work. Each and every time, the raster images keep popping up to the front. When performed the draworder command, sometimes, freezing and unfreezing the raster image layer works well, as well as regen, but you always have to perform an action to obtain the correct draw order again (for some time ...)

aaaaaaaaaaaaargh,

We were thinking about buying acad maps because we think it should handle raster images in a better way, but it seems like Tallguy has the same problems!

man man man, keep on searching everybody, because it seems like we are the only people on the internet having this problems (and all my colleagues aswell :) )

three, as it should be?!

thank you for thinking about this like this. I assume it is something like this that causes the problem...

• 1 year later...

Finally found a solution to this!!!!

In AutoCAD on the command line type: 3DCONFIG

Capture.JPG

Click on "Check for updates"... allow it to update all those drivers...

Then make sure you are using the most current video driver for your video card.

Stop pulling out your hair and get working!!!

Hope that helps!

`Dan

• 1 year later...

I think i got it. Set "draworderctl" to 0. This way, regardless of their draw order, new objects are displayed on top until a drawing is regenerated (REGEN) or reopened.

(I also set "imageframe" and "frameselection" to 0, and place image in a layer that is lower on the list than the ones I draw in)

Hope this helps!