Should I be setting up Projects or something?

In Tools>Options>Files>Auto File Save Location, when I put in a new location, it gets applied to all the .dwg files on my machine. I want a different location for each job no. Should I be setting up Projects or something?

I may be wrong but i think that option is a standard setting so it will apply to every .dwg you open and work on, unfortunately the only way around this i know of, is to work on one .dwg at a time and change the location every time. (not very practical i know.)

The way around i use, is after every project/drg i work on i then go to the autosave file(s) and move the backup to where i need it. (again not an ideal solution - but it works for me)

I think you may be missing the point of autosave. The autosave file only exists while you are working on a drawing. If you exit AutoCAD cleanly the autosave file gets deleted. Therefore there is no real advantage in having it chase around looking for new locations.

I'm finding same as skipsophrenic, not as you say Dave. This is different from Temporary Drawing File location, where files don't delete either, but most show contents 0, except about a quarter of them which show kB's of content but won't open when renamed from .ac$ to .dwg.

Autosave files called e.g. [filename]_1_1_3265.bak get saved at varying intervals - hours or minutes - and remain there for good. I rely on them sometimes, to go back to what I later wish I'd saved as a version. I just wish they'd file in a place of my choosing, instead of jobs all jumbled together, albeit sortable by name.

I disagree. Autosave files are .sv$ files, you are looking at backup files which are placed in the same folder as the drawing. sv$ files are deleted when the drawing is closed.

from the AutoCAD help

• The automatic save file, also called the “autosave” file (SV$)
  • The drawing backup file (BAK)

and

In the Options dialog box, on the Open and Save tab, you can specify that backup files are created when you save drawings. If you do, each time you save a drawing, the previous version of your drawing is saved to a file with the same name and a .bak file extension. The backup file is located in the same folder as the drawing file.

Aha thanks Dave. Need to check again - I don't think my .baks are being saved "in the same folder as the drawing file".