Non Uniform Scale of solid and keep properties

itsdoug

Is there a cad program that will easily take a solid object and do a non uniform scale version of it and still keep the solid properties? I need a non uniform scale of some objects that I have made but run into the problem of not being a true solid after it is non uniformly scaled. Have looked all over but haven't been able to come up with anything right off. Thanks in advance.

doug, im not sure i follow your non-uniform scale. Are you actually stretching/skewing objects? scaling different in each directions(x,y,z)? What type of solids are these? Were they modeled as solids or converted to solids, and what type of object do you end up with after scaling?

I have made a decorative wood onlay (extruded and shaped a true solid) and I'm trying to scale it to smaller size that looks the same but isn't scaled uniformly (its more just a decorative part and doesn't have to be exact. I have tried making it a block and inserted with the correct xyz size but after the non uniform scale it is no longer a solid. It seems strange to me that its right there in front of me the size I need and I can't convert it back to a solid?:?Or why did it not stay a solid?

What to do from here?...

I like the true solid so if I have to modify it I can or do a 3D flatshot it will work. The flatshot command doesn't work with it because it says there are no solids to do the flatshot on.

Is there another way to do a non uniform scale and keep the solid state?

Or is there a converstion software that will turn it back into a solid?

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully I can get something figured out to save me time from rebuilding each item to new size.

I guess I should answer the question what is the final object? It says it is just a block reference but it won't let me explode or do anything with it.

I have tried MINSERT command which says it will explode if you do just 1 object and the EXPLMODE variable is set to the default 1 which says it will allow to explode a block, but I guess not solids? Unless I am doing something wrong.

I found this thread which tells me I can't, or is there some other way, or other software that will do it and keep it a solid?

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?p=142247