AutoCad VS Laptops

jscarpin

I am trying to help my brother purchase a laptop for use with work...hence he needs a laptop because he travels. He was hoping to spend between 5 and 6 hundred on one. I am pretty knowledgeable about computers, but i just dont know how a graphics card is going to come into play or effect CAD. He is wanting to use some 3D modeling...I think. What kind of card should he have? Is there a huge difference between these cards when using CAD(besides the high end cards...hes on a budget). Is it worth spending a little bit more for say a new moderately priced card? Anyone out there have any suggestions or comments?

$500-$600 on a laptop computer to do AutoCAD 3D? Good luck. Don't expect much in the way of performance. While he's waiting for visual styles like 3DHidden or Conceptual to kick in he can go out and wash and wax his car. Might as well keep busy while the CPU churns away. At that price range the graphics will most likely be handled by the CPU or some cheap graphics chip. He needs a real laptop with some horsepower under the hood. 2GB RAM and a deicated graphics chip. I'd seriously consider bumping the price up to the $1500 range.

http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/X205/X205-SLi6

Sure, it's a "gaming" laptop, but it'll get the job done. I know that's out of his price range, but he can go for the lower grade Satellite computers (like the one I'm using) and he should be happy with the results. I'm using a 17" Satellite that I paid almost $2,000 for, but is now going for around $800-900, and I'm really happy with what it can do. The one I linked to is my next computer purchase. And while the graphics card is not "certified" it is tested and looks like it will handle almost anything I throw at it.

i dont know about the prices in your country, and there's no doubt that laptop prices have been falling all the time, however i agree with "Remark" when he says that nothing cheaper than 1500€ would be good enough to run Autocad decently.

Of primary importance would be a fast CPU and a dedicated graphics card for running full AutoCAD doing 3D. A minimum of 2GB RAM too.

For a laptop, I use, very heavily, a Thinkpad™.

I know why the laptop is nicknamed "The Brick."

Wireless of course.

80g HDD, 1g memory. Very fast!