Ability to write code? or ability to see need for code?

feargt

Hi,

I recently posted a thread here looking for a lisp to count and track command usage. The purpose of this was for customising autocad in our office as much as possible by reducing the number of commands required for each drawing. I wanted to have a starting point to be able to make a proposal to my boss as to by what percentage I could speed things up.(percentage purely relating to command usage....that's not too important though) But as I have been working on this, and regularly checking this site out I started wondering.

Of the visitors to this website that provide assistance/ advice / and code to other users, do any of you have the ability to look at a command log from autocad in conjuction with the drawing that was drawn and see where opertunities lie for the use of lisp code?

Or do most work on a specific request only basis when writing code be it here or in your daily jobs?

Would be very interested in hearing responses. Let's just say this say this for a future project that I'm thnking of.

The reason i create my codes it from repetitive things, suck as

the current one i have just about completed it, create a block on the layer with a similar name, and have the block clearly state if it plan or elevation, and from wat drawing, this is done from "paste as block" or manual command.

if you get sick of doin stuff, or stuff that is so simple or complex, as long as it requires a similar procedure, then a lisp is the go for it, i have got 2 or 3 lisps that create an entire drawing by simply give 10 numbers, which save aleast 4 hours.

think out side the box

thanks for your response flowerrobot.

I fully understand why we use lisp files, and how they can be very beneficial in increasing productivity by eradicating the need to do repetitive tasks.

My assumption is that most people who can write lisp files etc do so for their own benefit originally and then possibly share what they have in their work place. But in my experience for users who don't know how to write lisp files it will not occur to them that there are endless possibilities in regard to avoiding repetitvie tasks.

I have read some threads here on this website where people were enquiring about company needs for people who can write lisps or develop custom programs. I am currently learning how to write lisps but it takes time. So I am considering proposing to my boss that we get someone in. But before I can do that I need to know what is available.

It is for this reason that I posted this thread to explore the possibility of getting someone for this position. That is why I wanted to know if people (programmers) can see where the need for lisp files exist. For example coming into a company on a short term contract, irrelevant what they are drawing and after a brief review of what they are drawing and how they draw it coming up with custom lisp files for the company.

I thought I would have received more responses to this.

Any comments or thoughts or answers to the original post would be very welcome

I hope this is in the right forum too.

I write AutoLISP programs because I like to write AutoLISP programs. I have many own ideas, but I do not impose them to anybody, because people are ready to perceive only that is necessary at present. I am assured that 95 % of percent of draftsmen do not want what additional programs. Availability AutoLISP has an underside - the considerable quantity of a poor-quality code which creates problems and forces people to refuse for ever use lisp programs. And still I think what to find good AutoLISP the programmer (or AutoCAD VBA programer or AutoCAD .NET programer) not a simple problem. Certainly at desire you can increase repeatedly speed of your work by means of specially written programs. But for this purpose on to at least to train (and sometimes to force) users to work with these programs.