Where is my Fence linetype stored?

I do not know much about custom linetypes, but I have always been able to get away with copying and editing the standard lines to get any minor differences that I need.

I have three questions in this:

1. The standard fence linetype does not appear to be in either of the two .lin files that AutoCAD uses. Any ideas where else I could look for that definition?

2. The linetype in question is a fence line and appears as a a series of lines broken up by a space, then a /, then another space, and back to the line. The reason I need to change it is that the /'s are too small, and I need them to display bigger. Of course if I increase the linetype scale it just means it doesn't display. (If the line is too short the the is not / displayed.)

Has anyone come across this? Do they know what to edit to increase the size of the symbol? Perhaps I need to make the intermediate lines shorter.

3. Is there a way to set linetypes to display annotatively? So the scale would update to be correctly sized at 1:100, or 1:1000 for example.

Hi,

I know the "fence" line type your talking about. I use the same one in our drawings, and have been copying from drawing to drawing as the one I use was never stored in our .lin files.

I have always assumed it was taken from another drawing and can be used within the file, but cannot be edited unless I somehow could find code string and create in .lin file (if someone knows how to do this I would also like to know)

You might want to much around with the ltscale, in the mean time. It should help you get fence ticks in proportion.

Also I set psltscale to (0) so my line types will appear the same in my model & layout

The linetype file actually used by AutoCAD should be listed under Options > Files > Support Files Search Path. Unless of course you have a custom .lin file in another location or one that has a different name.

Example - I create a line type via .lin file say ---hi---hi---hi----

I use new line type in a drawing and send you the drawing.

Does the drawing retain my linetype? and can you edit line type?

I have attached file.

Hi.dwg

Example - I create a line type via .lin file say ---hi---hi---hi----

I use new line type in a drawing and send you the drawing.

Does the drawing retain my linetype? and can you edit line type?

I have attached file.

Your attachment still has the linetype, which I can drag and drop into one of my drawing files using the ADC.

I'm looking into it now, but I do not know how to find where this new linetype definition is stored.

My acad.lin files do not have any custom linetypes in them.

However my machine can certainly use custom lineytpes that my colleague has created. It is saved on their local drive, then imported into a drawing file. I can use them in my drawings, but cannot find where my machine is reading the definition from in order to edit it.

The same is true for the "hi" linetype.

Like the original poster, it would be useful to be able to edit 'fence' linetype I use.

And AutoCad must store linetype definition (created by others) somewhere. Just a matter of finding out where?

Thanks for looking into

And AutoCad must store linetype definition (created by others) somewhere. Just a matter of finding out where?

Once a linetype is load into a .dwg, it is part of the .dwg file; Autocad does not need to read an outside file (unless it is a complex linetype that uses shapes).

If you want to extract a linetype definition to a .lin file, here are a couple of sources:

To-lin.lsp

LinOut.lsp

Once a linetype is load into a .dwg, it is part of the .dwg file; Autocad does not need to read an outside file (unless it is a complex linetype that uses shapes).

If you want to extract a linetype definition to a .lin file, here are a couple of sources:

That's great. I suspected the linetype definition was embedded into the drawing file, but I didn't want to just be making stuff up! Thank you very much.

I extracted one of the lines, which is very helpful already.

But on the two others that I am wrestling with it displayed this note:

"Command: TO-LIN

LineType to retrieve: FENCE_ON_BDY

; error: bad argument value: positive 0"

Have you come across this? Do you know what might be causing the error?