Measure command???

Is there any way I can manipulate the measure command so that instead of starting from the endpoint and then offsetting by the dimension I specified, it will make it so my blocks are centred on the polyline and thus an equal distance from the two endpoints to the nearest blocks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wannabe

• feargt

• eldon

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the distance is a whole number it would be good, but the distance is going to be a decimal for sure, and the divide command requires an integer. If I round up then my spacing wont be exactly 3 metres will it?

Is there any way I can copy an object along a polyline that is curved? If I do it one at a time its the only chance.

Or maybe if I just reduce the length to an intger that divides by 3 it will be fine because it will just make the distance from the last block at either end to the end point greater.

if u know the length of the line use the measure command to place your block or point at the centre of the pline, then break polyline at this point , then use measure command twice, once on each polyline going in opposite directions. this may only be of use if u have a long polyline with lots of points or blocks required otherwise it may be just as quick to copy manually

if u know the length of the line use the measure command to place your block or point at the centre of the pline, then break polyline at this point , then use measure command twice, once on each polyline going in opposite directions. this may only be of use if u have a long polyline with lots of points or blocks required otherwise it may be just as quick to copy manually

I think, without being at working and testing it out, that rounding the length down to the nearest multiple of three, dividing that figure by three and then adding one, should space them evenly with an equal gap at each end that is less than 3.

Just out of interest, how do you actually move and object manually along a curved line?

Lets forget Z coordinates for now.

use the measure command and then copy your block or whatever it is u want to copy, to each point along the line that the measure command produced is one way

use the measure command and then copy your block or whatever it is u want to copy, to each point along the line that the measure command produced is one way

But if my length is a horrible number then one end of the line will be the integer i set as the measure length and the other will be the remainder e.g 0.4458

if u know your length, divide by 3, if that is the distance between what u want to copy, divide the remainder by 2, using a help layer use this value in the measure command to find ur starting point, break your pline at this point, use measure again using the distance between the objects, in this case 3 and then the distance will be same at both ends. then join ur pline back together again. and delete the points created on the help layer that helped u find ur starting point, hope this makes sense to you

if u know your length, divide by 3, if that is the distance between what u want to copy, divide the remainder by 2, using a help layer use this value in the measure command to find ur starting point, break your pline at this point, use measure again using the distance between the objects, in this case 3 and then the distance will be same at both ends. then join ur pline back together again. and delete the points created on the help layer that helped u find ur starting point, hope this makes sense to you

Yeah sure, that does make sense. It's also given me other ideas about lengthen delta and minus values etc.

Thanks for your advice.

It has been mentioned already, but the DIVIDE command will do what you want, no math on your part is necessary.

can u specify with the divide command what the distance between the segments can be? I don't think it is possible

Starting from the centre point of a curved polyline I need to place blocks at 3m spacing. The spacing from centre point to first block either side needs to be 1.5, thus the centre point of the row of blocks shares a centre point with my polyline.

If I break the line at the mid point and reduce length by 1.5m then placing the blocks on this segment from left to right is perfect.

Unfortunately the other half of the line would require me to measure from right to left and I dont know how to this. So, I am left with some calculations that involve horrible numbers to 4 decimal places.

Is there any way I can measure from right to left?

The lisp that was added certainly helps when I want to copy one block along a poly, so I am grateful for that. But, this line represents a track that is hundreds of metres long.

Measure always starts at the end of the line nearest the pick point :D

Thanks thats great.

I was actually wrong in my original post. The distance needs to be equal from the last block the end of the polyline. So the centre point is irrelevant :oops: .

Anyway, thanks for all the posts in this thread I have acquired an invaluable lisp and some good information. Many thanks to everyone.

• 2 years later...

Yo, so I have a measure issue, thought I would post it in here, even though its a few years old this thread.

So I got this problem

measure problem.jpg

I made the block (in the red circle) and tried to measure it along this sort of upside down polyline.

and the result of it is shown, it offsets by ALOT and aligns wrong also, i dont know what im doing wrong.

thats all I can really give about my problem.

Cheers guys,

Dave

I made the block (in the red circle) and tried to measure it along this sort of upside down polyline.

thats all I can really give about my problem.

There are several additional bits of information missing - if you made a block of three lines, why does the block, used in Measure, only have two lines :?

What is the insertion point of the block that you made :?

What are you trying to achieve as an end result :?

Perhaps you could post your drawing, then someone could really see what is happening