How to change the position of an object without changing the ucs?

marlon

This is the object. How do I make side B face me without changing the orientation of the ucs? I'm not talking about '3D Orbit' . I want to be able to draw on the B side without moving the ucs, so I have to move it somehow, ROTATE won't work as it moves the object in another way.

Thanks!

turnItaround.jpg

You may be able to get what you are looking for with the 'VPOINT' command, but I don't know if this will get the effect you are looking for.

If you want to draw on side 'B' with out changing the UCS, you will only be able to draw vertical lines anyway. So why would you want to do that?

You could use the Align command which gives you the option to position in 3d space.... BUT, I would not recommend it, I believe it is much easier to manipulate the UCS to suit your needs. I've got a little program from my free downloads page that can help you with that - it's called AutoUCS.lsp

Hi Marion,

I'm just curious about your reason for the original question. I only ask because of the multitude of ways of doing things in AutoCAD. And, are you working with solids? (Not that that has any significance)

it's ok though, and thanks for helping out!

Here's an example. There are 2 objects that need to face each other a certain way. The first object was drawn facing the wrong way. If I use ROTATE, it would only turn clockwise or counter clockwise, parallel to the monitor (screen). What I want is to turn it perpendicular to the screen (like if you lay a bottle sideways on the table so you can spin it and the mouth would point to people's chest). Hope that's clear enough. :D

Plenty clear. Only reason I asked is if what you were trying to do was create geometry relative to the face you wanted aligned it would likely have been easier to manipulate the UCS. The suggestion I made was merely intended to get you comfortable with making changes to the UCS - perhaps I misread your comfort level there.

Remember that when you are rotating geometry it will only rotate about the Z axis.

I've not used the 3drotate as rookie37 suggests but that sounds like a reasonable option as well.

Cheers!

it's ok though, and thanks for helping out!

Here's an example. There are 2 objects that need to face each other a certain way. The first object was drawn facing the wrong way. If I use ROTATE, it would only turn clockwise or counter clockwise, parallel to the monitor (screen). What I want is to turn it perpendicular to the screen (like if you lay a bottle sideways on the table so you can spin it and the mouth would point to people's chest). Hope that's clear enough. :D

This is what I did lask week when I had the same question....

I opened the "View" tool bar on AutoCAD 2006 and then I clicked on the "Left" viiew icon and there I was able to rotate my object the way you want to ratate it.