make keyboard command to set specific layer

NoelStalker

Greetings!

I came up with this lisp file to create commands to set the current layer. They are not working though and I am wondering why. Is there any problem with my code?

(defun c:s0 ()

(command "-layer" "s" "0" "" "")

)

(defun c:sd ()

(command "-layer" "s" "dim" "" "")

)

Thanks for your assistance.

I think you could do it this way:

(command "-layer" "s" "0" "" "")(PRINC))

(command "-layer" "s" "dim" "" "")(PRINC))

Ghost Rider,

What is the (princ) function? I have seen it before but I don't know what it does.

I changed my lisp file and restarted AutoCAD but the command still does not work. Here is the error it returns:

"Unknown command "S0". Press F1 for help."

I typed "appload" and then clicked on "contents" in the startup suite and added the lisp file to my startup suite. Then I restarted AutoCAD. What's funny is that the other commands that I define in that lisp file work fine.

I agree lpseifert, it sounds like the lisp hasn't been loaded before the syntax was called.

Either load the LISP during an AutoCAD session: "_appload"

Or either use the "Start-up Suite", (can be temperamental sometimes) or include a call to your LISP in the acaddoc.lsp script.

Hope this helps! :)

You guys are right. The code is good. And the command works - it sets the layer correctly. For some reason though, on the "s0" command, it still says "unknown command" even though it works.

Try this Noel - it may be why you are receiving 'unknown command':

(command "-layer" "s" "0" "")(PRINC))
(command "-layer" "s" "dim" "")(PRINC))

Hope this works! :P

Noel, glad you got it working, I actually can't answer your question of "What is the (princ) function?" I don't understand it all myself either, lpseifert and Lee Mac can I'm sure, I follow all their post trying to learn every chance I get...

I use commands similar to yours for layer control also my lisp is set up as I posted, though I have all those command on my ACAD.lsp file to load everytime, you may want to look into loading yours that way ...

Hi guys,

A little explanation of "princ"

princ is used just to print a line of text on the command line:

i.e.

(princ "Lee") will just print the text "Lee" on the command line.

And so, by finishing the LISP with:

(princ) -- there is nothing after the "princ" function therefore:

the LISP will print a new line on the command line and so the expression from the last function is suppressed, and so you have what is known as a 'clean exit'.

Hope this is helpful in some way :)

If your have searched and don't have one you can create it and place it in your search path. custom commands and lisp can be loaded all at once.

There's alot of discusssion here about customizations if you search. I'm still learning myself..

Try this Noel - it may be why you are receiving 'unknown command':

(command "-layer" "s" "0" "")(PRINC))
(command "-layer" "s" "dim" "")(PRINC))

Hope this works! :P

LeeMac,

I tried your code and it worked! Thanks so much. I don't understand how your code was different than mine though. But yours does not produce the error

Regards

Noel

Hi Noel,

Your code was slightly different in the fact that it had a few too many "" terms. And so AutoCAD was trying to repeat the last command before finishing what it was doing (as if the user had hit enter too many times). :P