paperspace/modelspace problem

EMS_0525

Ok, im on 09, when i do a distance in paperspace and snap to something in model space through a viewport it gives me the model space distance, not the paper space distance. Same thing with dimensions, when i snap to a object in model space it gives me that distance, not the paper space distance. HELP! There has to be a setting somewhere, but i dont know what it is... does anyone? :cry:

Thanks though.

For dimensions in paperspace if you change dimassoc to 1 the measured distance will be the paperspace distance. Not sure about the dist command though. Not sure why you would want to snap to a model space object and get the paper space distance?????? By the way, I work on '08 not '09 so can't say for sure that dimassoc will work the same :)

Ok, im on 09, when i do a distance in paperspace and snap to something in model space through a viewport it gives me the model space distance, not the paper space distance. Same thing with dimensions, when i snap to a object in model space it gives me that distance, not the paper space distance. HELP! There has to be a setting somewhere, but i dont know what it is... does anyone? :cry:

Question, isnt the model space distance the one you should be after?

anyway, I think this is where you disconnect association of the MS and PS in dimensioning.

00.jpg

Question, isnt the model space distance the one you should be after?

anyway, I think this is where you disconnect association of the MS and PS in dimensioning.

Hey nocturne00 - long time no hear. :)

I believe (and I'm prepared to be corrected) that those settings don't have anything to do with breaking the association between MS & PS. In fact, I would say the opposite. These settings allow for dimensions placed model space to be shown at the correct scale when viewing in paper space.

hi Soleary, yeah will delete that coz ive just tried it. very curious though coz i could almost swear thats where we linked dimensioning of an MS object to PS when we were still using CAD2004. Back then when we dimensioned the PS distance is what shows, we toggled 'scale dimensions to layout" and it worked.

thing is its what OP is trying to accomplish here.

This is something that has come about since about the 2006 version, I believe.

All I can suggest, and its the technique I use, is to use Otrack and measure and imaginary line that runs parallel to the distance you want. Or, you could draw an entity in paperspace and measure that.

Using the scale of the viewport in there somewhere, I am certain you could create a custom distance command. Try asking in the customisation forum.

im the only one in my office using 2009, the others are on 2004. I can deal with the association between ms and ps, but i was concerned about someone that had 04 gettin my dwg. In this particular drawing its in 3d, and i came to the conclusion that dimensioning in ps would be best, so the viewport is at 1/2" =1' (scale factor 24) and i was trying to put the scale factor in the dim scale so it would come up with the correct distances but its actually using the ms distance.... so my dim style has to be a scale of 1... no so in 2004, if you dim in paperspace it needs to be at what ever scale factor your using.

yes...while in paperspace you can use the DISTANCE command and measure the distance between two endpoints (or any two points) that are in a viewport and it will read out the modelspace distance because you are snapping from endpoints that are actually in modelspace....if you turned your OSNAPS off and roughly measured from those same spots it would give you a paperspace distance

yes...while in paperspace you can use the DISTANCE command and measure the distance between two endpoints (or any two points) that are in a viewport and it will read out the modelspace distance because you are snapping from endpoints that are actually in modelspace....if you turned your OSNAPS off and roughly measured from those same spots it would give you a paperspace distance

Excellent. Simple but very useful, for me at least.

To make an association with ms and ps was not needed, it was a good check to make sure all your settings in dimscale were correct, so if you measure the arrowhead it should be .125, but now you cant. I can work with it and deal with it but it makes some things harder. if i wanted a ms distance all you have ot do is double click in the vp and measure it in ms.... irritating.

To make an association with ms and ps was not needed, it was a good check to make sure all your settings in dimscale were correct, so if you measure the arrowhead it should be .125, but now you cant. I can work with it and deal with it but it makes some things harder. if i wanted a ms distance all you have ot do is double click in the vp and measure it in ms.... irritating.

did you change dimassoc to 1 and then dimension in ps?

did you change dimassoc to 1 and then dimension in ps?

ok that fixes the dimensions..... but even the distance command uses the ms distance not the ps distance. But i dont dimenion in ps. Except this one dwg im working on, its in 3d, and i have 3dclip activated so i cant dim in ms they wont show up.