Time switching between views

disbanded

I subbed out some cad work to a friend of mine and he is running into an issue that I have never had before. Maybe somebody knows what might be causing this problem. He is using Acad 2006.

He is working with a rather large file, a full plan consisting of 124 pages (numerous elevations and options).

When going back and forth between Paper and Model space, and even from tab to tab in Paper space - it takes close to 10 minutes for the pages to make the switch between views.

I have never had this problem while working with these same files, so I couldn't help him much, but it is eating up so much of his time that it is becoming a big issue for him.

If anybody has any ideas on what might be causing this problem, or any ideas on how to fix it - they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I have had the same symptoms but don't know it is the same problem as there are many reason for slowness

Mine was that the xrefs were too big. This was annoying because with a bit of forsight, more smaller ones would have instead been created. I could then choose to unload some of them

I'm sure I had hardware probs but the smaller xrefs fixed it.

Well, he was actually missing a font called Simplex that I sent to him, but I believe it was a shx. font. Could that be a Truetype font? I'm not exactly sure if it is or not. Other than that - I don't think Truetype fonts are being used in this drawing. Is there a way for me to tell?

Look in your AutoCAD fonts folder. Everything in there ending in the letters .shx is a compiled font native to AutoCAD. An example is Simplex.

Truetype fonts will end in theletters .ttf and will be found in your Windows font folder.

When you say the "plan consists of 124 pages" are you referring to layouts? Are you saying you have one drawing that has 124 layouts?

You say that you have no trouble working with these same files and yet your friend does. And while you are using AC 2005 your friend is using 2006. So I would look seriously at the differences between your computer and his computer. Maybe it is memory related. Or maybe it is graphics card related.

A comparison chart of the specs on the two computers would be helpful. Also, what OS are the two of you running?