Impossible Attibute Block Problem

archi23

I Have A Block Which Has Some Attributed Text Linked To It Somehow. When I Do Attribute Edit I Can Change What The Text Is Called In The Usually Function. However The Text Doesn't Appear In Bedit. Also When I Explode The Block It Just Disappears. It Is Like They Are To Seperate Things But Are Linked And I Can't Get Rid Of The Text.

I Need To Get Rid Of It Without Exploding It. It Is On A Different Layer However I Want To Get Rid Of The Layer As I Don't Want Rogue Layers In My Drawing.

Can Anyone Please Help. I Can Send You The Block If That Helps.

Many Thanks Paul

working of LT so do not have the expresstools to try out on attribute.

but I can give you a way around to acomplish what you need.

copy the block on side & explode than make a new block out of that circle & hatch. than use replace block with another block option from express tools & replace your old block with attribute with this one without attribute. and than you can purge the drawing to remove the block & the layers which are not used any more.

Was A Good Idea But I Have Many Of These Blocks In My Drawing And Even When I Do That And Replace The Blocks With The New One The Text Is Still There And Attributed To The Replaced Block With New Name.

Any More Ideas Please!!!

LIST and clickong on the block shows it consists of a BLOCK REFERENCE to block PA-VA and two ATTRIBUTES with tags "A" and "?"

"?" is not a very good name for a tag, it may be being interpeted as a wildcard.

Check out Help on EATTEDIT, ATTEDIT and its commandline form -ATTEDIT which can do global attribute edits (back up your drawing before attempting this).

To get rid of the Attribute layers you'll have to redefine the block without those layers then PURGE the drawing.

2 things, can you please stop capitalising the first letter of each word. I find it difficult to read.

Second, did you create this block in AutoCAD 2009 or has it been inherited from somewhere else?

I have a couple of ideas but can you tell me how you got this block in this state in the first place.

I will just follow up with what I think you have there. I think that somebody has already modified the block and removed the attributes but neither WBLOCKed the redefined block nor ATTSYNCed them so all existing instances of the block retain their old definition. When you explode the PA-VA block or insert it into the current drawing you get the new definition without attributes.

I have inherited it from some lighting contractor. Can you please give a step by step guide as to over come the problem as I still have no idea. I can get rid of the text and can re-create another block but it will not update all blocks in the drawing.

Also I flattened the block and the text went and the hatching went weird on me. Do not know if this is anything to do with the problem?

If the block is as I suspect, redefined in memory but not on the screen AND all you want to do is remove the text, type ATTSYNC and select the block. This will update all instances of that block within the drawing.

If you want to retain the text you will have to redefine the block yourself. If that is the case I'll try and talk you through it later.