Block editing redefining

I've just gotten a little work on the side and I've been asked to generate some blocks to add to his library.

I wanted to keep his look and how he has put his blocks together as I'm not going to be doing the main drafting just the setup.

This is were I've run into a problem. He is using Acad2007 and I'm primarily ver 2000. What this draftsman does is group his blocks into files. Ie one file for all blocks to do with Panasonic. So I opened the Panasonic file to add in another Device IE model of LCD TV. However I then noticed he had two Panasonic Devices in the drawing with different sizes and different attributes but when I quizzed them with LIST to get an understanding of them they had the same Block Name. I just tried out Bedit (first time) but all changes I do with that editor effects both Devices as they are the same block.

So my question is how can you have two blocks the same name yet look different? Is there some way of using Bedit or another edit command that only effects the block selected?

I think I've explained the situation well, however if not feel free to criticize and question my discription to further make sense of it.

Anyhelp very much appreciated.

Thanks for the reply Dipali.

However Scale is fine. Though it's probably something I'm missing, will have another closer look.

But in the mean time basic discription of the blocks.

Basicly all blocks are a rectanglular with attributes for Inputs and Outputs arranged vertically on either side.

All of the rectangular pieces are of the same width but different heights.

Interesting.

I've opened the drawings in ver 2000 and did LIST again on the same two blocks

The block name now is being given as *U. I've notice block names like this in purges I've done after revert saving 2007 dwgs as 2000 dwgs.

Could he be using some other command in 2007? I've only used our copy of 2007 a few times as I'm more comfertable with 2000 and havn't the time to explore 2007 which I would love as after finding Bedit I want to see what more it can do.

Thanks for the reply Dipali.

All of the rectangular pieces are of the same width but different heights.

this implies that it might be dynamic block. & that is not availble in 2000 ver. so it is showing 2 diff blocks

I don't know much about dynamic block , never used it. but someone else can help you ( perhaps Dbroada)

Cheers again Dipali.

Sorry for giving the info in dribs. I'm pretty new to dynamic blocks too. I tried using it in 2007 thought I was getting the hang of them but obvoiously not :)

When you apply Bedit on the blocks in 2007 there is a Stretch option and what looks like a Dimension line running vertical against the retangle body of the block. I've tried messing around with that but all the blocks with the same name are effected with the changes I make.

Definitely sounds like a dynamic block with a visibility parameter. This is why I HATE people saving my drawings to lower versions - it really can undo hours of work.

I'll have a longer read through at lunchtime if nobody else has replied by then.

Cheers dbroada

With this job I wanted to start using 2007 as I would be working weekends so could finally start exploring the niceys in 2007 and finally get away from 2000.

But with jobs flying through the door I wouldn't say the clients would be too happy with me spending hours playing with Autocad :D

sorry, I don't really have time to read carefully but it does sound like you have dynamic blocks. You create dynamic blocks using BEDIT and can have a single block name with many variations on screen. While all your blocks have the same name the variations will have annonymous names to diferentiate them. This can get messy as if you save backwards they often lose their group name and inherit their annonymouse name.

You can build a BIG block containing all your variations but it is simpler to keep to small groups. An example of this is that you could have "Screw" containing the full range of metric screws from M3 to M12 in all possible lengths. I would prefer to just have an M4 screw with a few lengths. Once you start using them you will see what suits your way of working.

A few simple things....

All blocks will have a "parameter" which can be altered once the block is inserted in the drawing. Once the parameter is altered a number of actions will take place.

Probably the easiest parameter to try(but not necessarilly the most usefull) is the visibility parameter.

You can have two pieces of text - say "yes" & "no". With a visibility parameter you can have 2 visibility states, one which shows Yes and one which shows No. You can now insert that one block many times and set up each one with either answer.

I prefer the DISTANCE parameter so back to my screw. I can draw my M4 screw and give it a distance. When I increase the distance parameter the thread will stretch. The distance parameter can be forced into steps or a list of lengths.

To check if you have a Dynamic Block, click on the block in question. If you get light blue triangular grips, it is dynamic. Grab the grip and see what happens.

Once you are set up with a few dynamic blocks certain tasks can be done in a fraction of the time.

Cheers dbroada

Totally solved.

Light blue triangle as mentioned and when I move it the block changes and only the one I was editing.

I'll have to get in on these dynamic blocks. Had a quick go just now and is doing what I want for this job. Will give it good going over for the weekend and see where I can apply it for my full-time jobs.

Thanks again.