From dtext to a z-position

Veryname

Greetings,

I am designing a road for my final school project and I just received a height map. The problem is, is that the heights are dtext's and I need to create points with the height written in the texts. I would add them manually but there are about 30.000 texts so that's not a realistic option.

So my question is; is there a way to automatically create points at the origin of the dtexts, where the z-value of the points comes from the texts-content and the x and y-value comes from text's geometry?

Some extra info:

- The origins of the texts are 5 units apart in both x and y-directions.

- I'm using AutoCAD 2008.

Thanks a lot.

The quick answer is yes, this could be done using Lisp.

The slow answer is that you would have to get the attention of someone who could write this Lisp - possibly post a thread in that section of the Forum :)

Eldon's right, at least I think he's right, you'll probably need a lisp to get this done - so I moved your thread to the Lisp-part of the forum in the hopes you'll get faster help here :)

Thanks for the replies.

If it's that much work I'll use the macro I created, I don't want to put someone else through that much trouble. It took me three hours to make the macro and it takes 2 second per text but I'll just have to let it run all night :) I was just hoping there was some secret command/function I wasn't aware of to speed things up incase I have to do this again in the future.

PS, if someone wants to make it I wont object :P

A LISP for this shouldn't be too hard - one question - does the text items only contain the z-value and no other text? Also, are we talking only DTEXT, or MTEXT also?

Also - I can create a LISP in which the user will select the text manually - (using a selection set). - or, if all the heights are on the same layer, or if they are the only text (or DTEXT) in the drawing, then I can set the LISP to automatically do the selecting for you. -- For this to happen the text needs some "defining" factor, so a filter list can be created. - i.e. on own layer, or the only DTEXT, or have their own colour etc etc.

Also, what layer do you want these "Points" to be on? - and I assume they are just standard ACAD Points.

So, if I am correct, you want to use the base points of the text for the x,y and the contents of the text for the z?

Thanks

Lee

To answer your question:

• Yes, the text only contains the height value, e.g.: "129.30"
  • All off them are dtext, no mtexts.
  • The file only contains the texts and they are all the same layer/color. The layer is "49" and the color is "12", which is a redish color.

• The points can be on any layer, I'll just move them if need be.
  • They are just regular AutoCAD points.
  • "You want to use the base points of the text for the x,y and the contents of the text for the z?"

Thanks for the help :)

OK, try this:

(defun c:zht (/ varlist oldvars ss eLst bPt zVal nbPt ptLst)
 (vl-load-com)
 (setq varlist (list "CMDECHO" "OSMODE")
   oldvars (mapcar 'getvar varlist))
 (mapcar 'setvar varlist (list 0 0))
 (if (setq ss (ssget "X" '((0 . "TEXT")(8 . "49")(62 . "12"))))
   (progn
     (setq eLst (vl-remove-if 'listp
          (mapcar 'cadr (ssnamex ss))))
     (foreach e eLst
   (setq bPt (cdr (assoc 10 (entget e)))
         zVal (atof (cdr (assoc 1 (entget e))))
         nbPt (subst zVal (last bPt) bPt)
         ptLst (cons nbPt ptLst)))
     (foreach pt ptLst
   (command "_point" pt)))
   (princ "\n<!> No Text Found <!>"))
 (mapcar 'setvar varlist oldvars)
 (princ))

Lee Mac, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for responding.:thumbsup:

No Probs Eldon, and thank you for your compliments.

How I look at it, the LISP wasn't a hard one to write, but if it helps someone save a few hours, I'm happy to spend a few minutes working on it. :thumbsup: