3D Cross Sections

MudSkid

I have designed in 3d a chiller unit that consists of a large shipping container with an ICHPS chiller unit and all of the piping, and now i need to take cross sections of it to compare to the original drawings so that way the original drawings can be corrected. The only problem is that everytime i use the section comand, it tells me that the sectioning plane does not intersect the selected solids

so what the hell am i doing wrong? im about to throw this computer out the fricken window

:reallymad::reallymad::reallymad::reallymad:

How are you designating the sectioning plane? Are you picking on the object itself, off the object (blank space) or using a reference line?

Are we working in model space or in a layout viewport?

im in model space, and what i really would like is just the 6 different views (front, back, left, right, top and bottom)

i start off, type section, it asks me to select the objs that i want, so i select everything, and then i slect my three points, im not sure how integral these points are so i just select the top left of the object, the bottom left and the bottom right.

i also tried drawing a path for the points that ran through the object about a foot or so back from the view that i wanted

should i be using the "section" command for this, or the "section plane" command?

more or less i have no idea what im doing, but like i said above, i just really need the 6 views that i can then drop back into the orignal drawing for corrections, so what would be the easiest way for me to do just that?

well try selecting only one object. If you select everything and there is a part off in space that doesnt line up in your plane you will get that error.

I would try using the standard planes and selecting or entering a point inside your object where you want the section. For instance the prompt will ask you for 3 point, object or give you some XY, XZ etc. I would choose like xy and a point and see if that works

Model space...right. And you were going to generate the other views how?

....by changing the view and then doing it again....

and thanks 1313 ill try that

but more importantly, am i going to end up with something that i can paste into a drawing and have it be in 2d?

ok so i just tried selecting one of the tanks that are in the unit, its nothing more than a cylinder, i selected the bottom right and the bottom left, and then the top left, and it didnt give me the error, but then absoultely nothing happened, dont i have to do a paste command and it should bring it in??

and actually, is there anyway that i could take the drawing and for lack of a better word, smush it all together, flatten it if you will so that way it shows everything from each view, this would probabally work better for me seeing as there is soo much stuff in this drawing

One way of generating multiple views of a solid object is to do so in a layout using the commands Solview and Soldraw. You can create top, bottom, front, and side views as well as sections. AutoCAD will extract the information from the 3D model and create the 2D linework.

One way of generating multiple views of a solid object is to do so in a layout using the commands Solview and Soldraw. You can create top, bottom, front, and side views as well as sections. AutoCAD will extract the information from the 3D model and create the 2D linework.

yeah i tried doing that but it didnt seem to really work, and of course the autocad help is horrible, so yeah

do i need to create all of the views first, because whenever i do it with a preeixting view in the layout, it asks me for all of the points to which i blindly provide them and then it rotates the thing in this funky aspect, it turns it on its side and then at an angle

where should i idealy picking the points if i just want a head on view of one of the sides?

is there anyway that i can just use the flatten command? ive tried it but it keeps telling me that there is some sort of error that it keeps encountering and then it just stops

i know that the flatten command tends to work pretty well, it may skew somethings but, flatten is able to be used on 3d drawings right?

here is something i sectioned. you can see the ucs at the top. i selected my object. typed XY to use the xy plane and entered a coordinate of 0,0,-1. The first picture has already been sectioned. in the second pic i moved the 2d region i got from the section off to the side so you can see it. Since you are selecting edges it may not be apparent that you have a 2d region. Maybe you should just go into layout and create a layout of your drawing in 2d wireframe mode. It sounds like this might be what you are looking for. the 3rd pic is a layout using 2d wireframe for the top and side views, and a "realistic" setting for the iso view.

section.JPG

section2.jpg

section3.jpg

The FLATSHOT command will create a flat block of a 3D model. To do this simply go to a view of the 3D object that you wish to recreate as a 2D block. Use the FLATSHOT command and make the desired choices within the dialog box.

its not quite what im looking to do really, i dont want to remove things, i want to compress it all down to a flat image more or less, i think what im prolly gonna end up doing is taking a screen shot and scaling it appropriately, im not sure

thanks for the help tho guys, ill let you all know how it turns out