Sweep or extrude

lilrose

When you have a question your first source for information should always be your AutoCAD Help files. Your next source of information should be your User's Guide.

SWEEP can create a new solid or surface by sweeping a profile along a path. The path can be 2D or 3D. SWEEP a closed profile and you will get a solid. SWEEP an open profile and you will get a surface. You can SWEEP multiple objects at one time as long as they all lie on the same plane.

SWEEP gives the user more control and the results are better.

Solids and surfaces can be created by using the EXTRUDE command. EXTRUDE a closed object and the result is a solid. EXTRUDE an open open and the result is a surface. When you EXTRUDE an object you can specify the path, the taper angle and the direction.

You can find out more information by consulting your Help files. Click on Help in the pull-down menus of 2007 or hit the F1 key. On the Index tab type in the word EXTRUDE or SWEEP. The screen to the right will display three tabs: Commands, Procedures and Concepts. I suggest you look at and read all three.

In the User's Guide information about the SWEEP command can be found on pages 448, 695, 697 and 699. Information about the EXTRUDE command can be found on page 696.

If you have any questions that are not answered in either of these two sources come back here and ask a follow-up question. We will do our best to assist you.

The principal difference that I can see is that if you cut a perpendicular section through any part of a swept entity it will be as the shape that you started off with 'cos it starts off by rotating it to be square to your path... essentially you can draw a circle & a polyline on the same plane & it will rotate the circle & extrude it along the polyline. Extrude doesn't alter the source object so it's section is determined by it's angle to the path.

I usually use Sweep because you don't have to have the profile perpendicular to the path (AutoCAD can align profile to path).

I use Extrude when I don't have a path or when I need taper along a path.