Creating a batch file to start AutoCAD

jammie

Hi All,

I have started experimenting with batch files and would like to start AutoCAD when I run a batch file. Is this possible?

I have tried

[color="RoyalBlue"]start[/color] "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2007\acad.exe"

but this seems to only run another command prompt window

Also could anyone recommend any links and resources on understaning batch files and maybe a beginners guide to DOS in general?

Thanks

Jammie

if this is a batch file in the old DOS style, you don't need the "start" bit. Just the program path & name (don't need .exe either) will start the program. If you're not talking of that sort of batch file, sorry, please ignore me.

Hi dbroada

That worked exactly the way I was hoping. :)

I am hoping to create a simple batch file that I can run when I logon to my computer. One of the Senior Tech's was recalling the good old days of DOS based AutoCAD when he started working. Having no experience of the versions pre 2000 myself I guess I was curious to find out a little bit more about DOS and batch files

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

-jammie

Thanks Remark,

If you like batch files (.bat) try your hand next at config files (.sys). Throw in some memory management parameters and have fun!

I am curious now, I think I will have to look into config files as well! Is there much of a difference between what you can achieve using a batch file or a config file?

Regards

Jammie

Thanks Eldon

Watch out for the BUFFERS and RAMdisk :shock:

I had actually had never heard of RAMdisks before!

After doing a bit of research into RAMdisks they seem to act as a virtual drive for temporarily storing infomation. I suppose the more RAM the computer has the more efficently it can run with a RAMdisk.

Looking for a bit more info on buffers I came across a useful link for DOS if anyone is interested

http://www.easydos.com/dosindex.html

Regards,

Jammie

As your running some form of windows you should beable to add autocad to your Startup group which means it runs on power up. Search windows help or then net for startup.

As your running some form of windows you should beable to add autocad to your Startup group which means it runs on power up. Search windows help or then net for startup.

That is very useful to know.

By adding a shortcut to AutoCAD in the following directory it now starts up when the computer boots up

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Thanks BIGAL!