revit impressions

michaeloureiro

As a"proficient" cad user, i´ve been looking into stepping up to revit. I was wndering about the impressions of cad users that switched to revit. Any input is appreciated.:)

As a"proficient" cad user, i´ve been looking into stepping up to revit. I was wndering about the impressions of cad users that switched to revit. Any input is appreciated.:)

Jrevit,

Can revit create complex arquitectural forms? Or is it based on standard building objects?

Is user customization easy or possible, such as annotation customization?

Is it worth using on small projects?,

thanks

Hi Michael,

Revit is largely customisable with the ability to create custom templates for your company, so all employees are working on the same page, so to speak.

We have been using Revit for about two years now and have not looked back. Sure there are things that can be improved on but AutoCAD has never been the perfect solution for all occasions either. Complex forms are easily handled with the massing tools, which i believe will be enhanced even further in the next release (2010), teamed with the create objects on face tools, there isn't too much that can't be handled.

Revit is suited for all projects and weel worth starting on a smaller project to get your feet wet. Be prepared for some large time outlays initially for your implementation (creation of templates, annotation symbols, families etc) but once you have it set the way your company wishes, it is great. Best of luck.

Well, I just got started on the revit tutorials and I have to say that it´s a totaly different aproach to drawing. With just a few tutorials, I can understand why some people don´t want to use Cad again.

It is seems to be a very powerful tool.

It really is, the challenge is to learn how to use it in the best way. For example, to make a kerb on a site plan, we tend to use rails with a kerb profile, this way you can sketch where you want the "kerb" to go in one piece. I guess it is easier to say you might have to think out of the box to get a better result.

Hang in there, it is well worth it.