Xref - copy a single element?

ABuckingham

It's a pretty simple issue, I have a drawing with an xref in it but I need to edit the text height of some of the notation without changing the original xref. If I bind the xref, all the text I need to edit disappears. Any thoughts?

You have checked that it's not because the text layer is turned off/frozen, right?

It's visible until I do the bind, then it disappears. Unless layers freeze/turn off during a bind I can safely exclude that possibility.

If you use Bind then select the option Bind it keeps the prefix to the xref so will not change properties. If you use Bind then Insert, AutoCAD will strip out the prefix to the layer name so if a layer of the same name exists in the drawing it will adopt that state.

If you are using full AutoCAD (not LT) try using the NCOPY command. This allows you to copy any object from an xref into the current drawing. You can then switch off the text in the xref and edit the copy of the text independently in the current drawing.

If you insert it as a block and the layer in the block has the same name as the layer in the main drawing, it will take on the properties of the main drawing, i.e. if the text layer on both drawings has the same name (text) and is off in the main drawing, on insert the text will be turned off as the text layer is turned off. This is what Bind>Insert does in a roundabout way.

If you are using full AutoCAD (not LT) try using the NCOPY command. This allows you to copy any object from an xref into the current drawing. You can then switch off the text in the xref and edit the copy of the text independently in the current drawing.

Ok this sounds ideal, I'll give it a shot. I'd love to just insert this drawing, or even just make a copy and work with it directly however the client has requested we use it as an xref.