Leroy Text

Coosbaylumber

Back before Autocad there was K&E Leroy paddles. There is a font now for Leroy.

But, what was original height for the letters on the different paddles and the appropritate pen number too?

Wm.

The Boss had controlling interest into the company that owned the blueprint place next door to where I worked, and their employees were told to use the word Paddles when selling or talking about the Leroy sets. Thus it stuck with me for a few decades now.

But,.... what size of ink pens were to be used with each paddle then? I think the one called out for was in general too thick. But, I think the one for .175 height was a #1 pen. What were others then?

(Boy, hated working on plans via Leroy. But CALTRANS required such to be used on their public plans up in to the 1980's)

Wm.

The suggested pen size was indicated on the "paddles" wasn't it? I won't be able to confirm this until I get back to work on Tuesday where I still have an original Leroy set in a carrying case. I bet you're all jealous.

I was thinking so too. The reccomended pen size per my old poop sheet does not mention what to use in their lettering sets. Too modern I think. It gives standard sizes in Thou. and metric.

I have color select for line thicknesses on my plotter and would be best to use the correct sizes then.

Wm.

Template lettering size & recommended pen size is as follows:

60CL - Pen 0000

80CL - Pen 000

100CL - Pen 00

120CL - Pen 0

140CL - Pen 1

175CL - Pen 2

200CL - Pen 3

240CL - Pen 3

290CL - Pen 4

350CL - Pen 4

425CL - Pen 5

500CL - Pen 6

My set still has the scribe (spider) and a short mechanical pencil that fit it as well. I no longer have any of the "cups" with the cleaner wires that used to be filled with ink via an eye dropper. Do you have any?

Back before Autocad there was K&E Leroy paddles. There is a font now for Leroy.

But, what was original height for the letters on the different paddles and the appropritate pen number too?

Wm.

0.060" 60CL - Pen 0000

0.080" 80CL - Pen 000

0.100" 100CL - Pen 00

0.120" 120CL - Pen 0

0.140" 140CL - Pen 1

0.175" 175CL - Pen 2

0.200" 200CL - Pen 3

0.240" 240CL - Pen 3

0.290" 290CL - Pen 4

0.350" 350CL - Pen 4

0.425" 425CL - Pen 5

0.500" 500CL - Pen 6

Anyone remember the next larger size templates (paddles)? We used to use them for drafting the project cover sheets on highway projects. The lettering height was .7500" to 2" I believe. The scribe (spider) was about 3 to 4 times larger too!

Anyone remember the next larger size templates (paddles)? We used to use them for drafting the project cover sheets on highway projects. The lettering height was .7500" to 2" I believe. The scribe (spider) was about 3 to 4 times larger too!
I used those too. It felt funny switching to the big one.

BTW we didn't call it spider, we called it cangrejo -- Spanish for "crab". :geek:

Man, it feels like a million years ago, but it's been only 9-10 years since I last used the leroy.

Yeah I still have some of the larger templates and the larger "bug". we always called it bug. The templates are really long.

I have a few templates with cursive letters and some with Old English style letters. I haven't looked at them in a while, probably have other styles I have forgotten about. Oh, I just remembered I have some templates for Iso text.