Polylines & splines.

Hi, i'm a bit confused about the conversion options of a polyline, when i try to convert a pl to a spline using the object option of the spline command i get this message everytime: "Only spline fitted polylines can be converted to splines" , what exactly is a spline fitted polyline?

I tried to change the pl with pedit to fit and spline and tried spl>object again to no avail. :geek:

Also i have drawn a lightbulb using polylines, 1 arc converted to pl for the top half of the bulb, and 1 nicely curved pl (mirrored) for the lower half, when i try to join the 3 pl's the curves in the lower half transform to straight lines, is there a way to prevent this?

thanks a lot,

T

I tried it; if I "pedit>>spline" on a polyline, then using "Spline>>Object" it converts fine. Make sure you've used "spline" not "fit" of the pedit command.

And yes when you join polylines they lose their curvyness, you need to "fit" or "spline" them again.

Thanks, i experimpented a bit more and converting a single pl to spline works fine indeed, however if you try this on joined polylines it stops working which is kinda weird imho :D .

If i fit or spline the joined polylines, the curves completely change shape and i have to manually readjust them, which is normal i guess?

Just a comment - you do know that in the Polyline command you can draw Arc? After you've started the command and drawn your first line, type A (for arc) and then you draw an arc. THen type L (for Line) and you're back to lines. No need to join stuff up in the end :)

Good comment! , i should've constructed my bulb with a single polyline instead of with a trimmed circle and 2 polylines, still have alot to learn :roll: .