Using regions to create a viewport within another viewport area - a BAD thing?

CADsince07

Hi guys,

I came on this forum quite recently to find out how to create a viewport within the area of another viewport (ie having a circle viewport 'floating' inside of a rectngle viewport displaying a different view). You guys suggested creating the circle and making it a region etc. This worked really well.

However, my work colleague has since said if he ever catches me using regions to do this, he will be shouting at me because 'region' is a 3D command which has been hijacked by 2D users. He said that they dont work. He has also said that it is imossible to change the extents of the view within the 'floating' vp (the region one) without loads of complicated hassle.

So i dont get it? Is it a bad idea to use regions to do this??? How would you change the extent shown within the floating vp without facing loads of hassle and having to redraw everything etc??

Very confused - it seemed to work when i followed your instructions? (lol i say your because i cant remember who advised me).

IS this really bad?

It is a great solution to that problem, and it does limit the ability to quickly adjust the viewport. That is why I create that type of viewport when I am sure it won't be changing.

There is nothing dangerous about using regions and your colleague is being a chicken little.

BTW, what exactly is their solution to that problem?

Well he advises me to clip the rectangle 'outer' viewport and basically draw from one corner, up into the space on the page where i want the 'floating' vp and then come back down to the corner to complete the vp. Then he draws a new vp in the space clipped out of the original vp (sorry if i havent explained that clearly). Basically it seems a really messy method? The region worked perfectly and looked very neat.

So how would i change the view in the vp if i had used regions? Is it really extremely complicated? My colleague considers himself a software expert but has only used CAD for a few years. He said he would be very very angry if he ever caught me using the region method and i couldnt understand why? Surely it cant be that hard to change the view?

Help! lol

Well, yes you cannot easily change the viewport when made with regions; no way to click and drag. I prefer regions over non rectangular viewports but if it looks right I don't care how it gets done for this application.

If the colleague is in charge then you must do it their way; if you are equals then tell him to point to an office standard or step off.

It sounds as if your colleague is a bit of a stick in the mud; and doesn't appreciate you coming up with a better, faster, neater method to the method than his somewhat old-fashioned way.