Dynamic block, streching a rectangle in X&Y direction in one move

Butch

The title says it all.

Is this possible?

Sofar Ive managed to do this in 2 steps, strech in X and then in Y direction. I defined distance x and y for a block and then used a strech command for them.

But can this 2 steps be done with just 1 move?

See pic, eg. you have a rectangle, select one corner and strech it, x and y dimesion are changed. I tried with x and y option but no luck :-(

Can it be done?

stri.th.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Butch

• Tiger

• iconeo

• MaxwellEdison

I was gonne say use Scale instead, but you don't want to stretch them the same amount in both X and Y do you?

I can't think of a way this can be done, besides writing a lisp for it, but lemme ask you this - you say this is for a dynamic block? So when you insert this block, after it's done, you want to be able to choose how wide and how high it should be?

A bit more info on what the goal is, and the likelyhood of someone going "HEy, I've done something similar to that" will increase :thumbsup:

Sort of on the same lines as defining a window in the Move or Stretch commands. It would have to be done using just one corner (upper right for example) is the way I see it. Agree? Disagree? No opinion?

that's what I thought but without fiddling for more time than I have the shape goes "kite" rather than a restrained rectangle. I thought an XY or a point parameter would work, but atm they don't.

If you just want to move one vertex while the others stay the same, polar stretch with the window over just the desired corner should do the trick.

Otherwise you can use an XY stretch box (under parameter sets) to resize it. Remember you can use a CPolygon to define a non-rectangular stretch window also, if need be.

I've drawn up a quick example of both of these in the attached file.

stretch example.dwg

The best way to describe it is, go to a layout, create an single viewport, select one vertex and move it. Can you see it?

Thats it! :-)

The best way to describe it is, go to a layout, create an single viewport, select one vertex and move it. Can you see it?

Thats it! :-)

You wanted a Viewport? Not the way I read the original question, but glad it worked out for you.

Maxwell, gonne grab that file of yours and learn a new trick! :thumbsup:

Noooooo!

I dont want a viewport, I want my dynamic block to behave like viewport when you move its grip around. Get it?

Noooooo!

I dont want a viewport, I want my dynamic block to behave like viewport when you move its grip around. Get it?

aha got it. Then Maxwells block should work. I've resaved it as a 2000-format for you.

Tiger Thanx a lot, and Maxwell thanx a bunch! :-)

Will experiment a bit and probably get back with some new ideas that I need help with :-)

p.s. any chance polar strech could do this, so you can also rotate the block instantly?

• 1 year later...

have you tried a stretch action on a linear parameter. So do a regular stretch in the X plane. Then do a new stretch action in the Y plane but select the same linear parameter thus leaving only one handle to stretch both the X and Y planes. At this point the block will not work correctly, so you need to open the properties box and make sure to change the angle offset to 90 (i.e. 90 degrees). Now when you come out of the block editor and pull on the handle the box should stretch in both the X and Y angles. You can change the amount of stretch by changing the number in the distance multiplier box above the angle offset box.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Dan

Hi,

Can you explained what you mean by:

Then do a new stretch action in the Y plane but select the same linear parameter thus leaving only one handle to stretch both the X and Y planes.

1. When doing the X-stretch dual selection, do we select the Y-parameter as well?

2. What is "the same linear parameter"? Do you mean selecting the X parameter when doing the Y-stretch? How does this work?

3. What properties dialog do you mean? Is it the Y-parameter properties dialog?

Thanks for the lights.

Nicolas.

I have attached a file for you too have a look at, it includes three squares with the same basic dynamic block settings but they have different distance multipliers applied to them.

Use your standard properties box to check out the details.

squares.dwg

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
If you just want to move one vertex while the others stay the same, polar stretch with the window over just the desired corner should do the trick.

Otherwise you can use an XY stretch box (under parameter sets) to resize it. Remember you can use a CPolygon to define a non-rectangular stretch window also, if need be.

I've drawn up a quick example of both of these in the attached file.

Your example has been a great help getting my started with Dynamic Blocks. :)

Would you be able to help solve my next problem? I've attached an example file to show you. Example.dwg

I've managed to get the double rectangles to stretch together, however on the drawing to the left in the file. I want to constrain that circle to the midpoint of the topline and I cant figure out how :oops:

Thanks

I didn't see this while I was in the office today. I can take a look on Tuesday when I'm back in. If I had to guess though the best way would be to add a second stretch action to the parameter that's manipulating the top line, luckily I made an example of this for someone a couple weeks ago.

And immediately after attaching that example I remembered you don't need to chain the actions at all, add a second stretch action to the parameter and apply the .5 distance multiplier to that second one, a la this example.

[ATTACH]58523[/ATTACH]

hunter_pa,

I attached the my revised version of your example. I added 3 stretch actions to the existing empty XY parameter. The middle action is stretching only the circle and adjacent lines with a .5 distance multiplier. The other two actions are controlling the overall size of the rectangles.

Example-3 stretch actions on XY parameter.dwg