Deleting layers

reyems

I'm not sure I can find the right words to make sense here...but I'll try.

In cleaning up drawings from the architect I am tasked to delete layers that are no longer needed. Some of these were layers tht were created inside our office with random dimensions or notes that just no longer matter. My problem is that in isolating the layer and erasing all I see I still cannot delete the layer. I have attempted to turn on all layers and then toggle the ones I'd like to delete to see if anything turns up, but no luck.

Sorry for the long narrative. (using AC09lt) Thanks!

First...try using the Purge command and see if you can get rid of the supposedly empty layers that way. If that doesn't work then turn on all the layers you want to retain and freeze those that are "empty". Then WBlock out everything on your screen.

Another option is to DXFOUT everything on your screen, open a new drawing and use DXFIN. See if that cleans things out.

Sounds to me that the layer(s) that you want to remove has been used in a block which means that you can't see them when isolating the layer because the block that contains the entity is located on a different layer altogether.

Perhaps using the LAYWALK command could help you out. Selecting the layer in question in the dialog box of LAYWALK after a zoom extend should indicate where the layer has entities. This should help you pin-point what blocks, if any are using that layer.

This was a great tip to learn. Thank you. I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem. Nothing shows up on these layers as I walk through them