Parenthesis Flash Time

Lee Mac

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, is there any way to change the length of time that the parenthesis flashes for in the VLIDE.

When you close an open bracket, the open bracket will flash to let you know that you have closed it.

However, when you have a long code, its hard to keep track of which parentheses you have closed, and the screen only flashes for a split second.

Is there any way to change the length of time that the parenthesis flashes for?

Cheers

Lee

Sorry cant help ya but sounds like a good tip if you find out how to.

Do you have a text editor you can use? The VLIDE has a real crappy text editor in it if you had separate text editor you can type in there and just switch to the VLIDE for testing (thats what i do).

Well, I use the VLIDE for the flashing parenthesis as it helps me know which brackets I have shut :)

In a text editor, the brackets wouldnt even flash..

Well, I use the VLIDE for the flashing parenthesis as it helps me know which brackets I have shut :)

In a text editor, the brackets wouldnt even flash..

They dont in notepad but if you go get yourself a nifty text editor they can do quite a bit more then you think. For example: I use Vim as my text editor; i can create a file, upload it to an FTP site, close it down, open the file on the FTP site, edit it, and save it again ...all without taking my fingers off the keyboard (hows that for cool?). In fact, ive even played Tetris in my text editor.

Now, I do not suggest that you go download Vim and try to use it cause you will only end up hating me in a very short time. Vim is a serious life altering text editor and because of that fact it takes a very long time to learn.

I recommend that you go get a nice text editor like Notepad++ and start playing around. Once you get used to the idea of having a text editor and would like something real powerful, we can talk about Vim.

FWIW, I use the vlide and format fucntion to check my parens. I set it up to put the closing paren under the open, then just scann down to see that they all line up

Lee, just double click after the right paren and it will highlight everything back to the left parent. I've gotten used to doing this after I got annoyed with the same problem as you.

just experimenting, i found this one.......'-)

(_vl-balance-parenthesis nil) => turns off parenthesis flashing

(_vl-balance-parenthesis t) => turns on parenthesis flashing

(_vl-balance-parenthesis t 2000) => turns on parenthesis flashing with delay of 2000 (default=100?)

(_vl-balance-parenthesis 1 2000) => turns on parenthesis flashing with delay of 2000 with highlight

FWIW, I use the vlide and format fucntion to check my parens. I set it up to put the closing paren under the open, then just scann down to see that they all line up

Yes, I also use the formatting, but with the way that I write the code (without brackets underneath the lines) its hard to tell which brackets end which - I suppose I should just change the way I write things to make it clearer.

Lee, just double click after the right paren and it will highlight everything back to the left parent. I've gotten used to doing this after I got annoyed with the same problem as you.

This is a good idea - thanks Uddfl

thanks lee & Se7en.

Brilliant Wizman, just what I was looking for! -- how did you find it?

just did some trial and error + curiosity...:)